Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
As Sr. Functional Safety Engineer working in the Electric Power Conversion group, you will be responsible for performing functional safety development of internally designed power electronic components.
- Perform and document safety analysis on the electrical hardware and software architecture design to address safety anomalies.
- Conduct, review, and document FTA, FMEA & FMEDA’s for electrical hardware design.
- Conduct, review, and document software safety analysis for software architecture design.
- Develop SW architecture for safety including ASIL decomposition, freedom-from-interference analysis, and dependent failure analysis.
- Support reliability organization in deriving FIT rates for hardware components using IEC or Siemens standards.
- Develop and document hardware safety concepts and requirements to provide safety electrical hardware design recommendations.
- Develop and document software safety concepts and requirements to provide software safety design recommendations.
- Develop upstream and downstream traceability between hardware, software, systems technical safety requirements and relevant test cases in traceability tool.
- Define test details/case for hardware and software safety requirements including fault injections.
- Support the systems, software, and hardware test team in executing test cases with troubleshooting.
- Perform safety impact analyses on new projects or architectures.
- Support vehicle functional safety team in development of technical safety requirements and hazard analysis risk assessment.
- Develop safety analysis and requirements for IC’s, FPGAs, and microcontrollers for systems, hardware, and software.
- Maintenance of software and hardware safety requirements with implementation agreements.
- MS or BS degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Systems & embedded systems design experience with functional safety engineering background.
- 5+ Years of experience in systems or hardware with a functional safety engineering background in ISO 26262 part – 4,5 6, 8 and 11.
- Understanding of the systems design architecture of DC-AC Inverters, DC-DC Converters, AC-DC Power Electronics applications.
- Understanding of the hardware electronics and software architecture design of DC-AC Inverters, DC-DC Converters, AC-DC Power Electronics applications.
- Understanding of the electronic and software design timelines and process flow.
- Knowledge of failure modes and failure effects of electronic hardware design with prior experience of performing hardware FTAs, FMEDAs at the component level.
- Knowledge of failure modes and failure effects of the software architectural design with prior experience of performing software safety analysis including ASIL decomposition, freedom-from-interference analysis, and dependent failure analysis, Preferred (Optional): SW FTA, SW FMEDA
- Ability to understand and create traceability in JAMA or similar requirements management tool.
- Ability to work with resilience, zooming out and with out of the box thinking.
- Strong team player with a drive to exceed expectations and meet deadlines.
Preferred to Have:
- Tools expertise with Medini, Plato or similar strongly preferred.
- Experience with C programming and/or model-based design using Simulink to perform safety analysis.
- ISO 26262 Certified
Salary Range/Hourly Rate for California Based Applicants: $135,000.00 - $155,000.00 (actual compensation will be determined based on experience, location, and other factors permitted by law).
Benefits Summary: Rivian provides robust medical/Rx, dental and vision insurance packages for full-time employees, their spouse or domestic partner, and children up to age 26. Coverage is effective on the first day of employment, and Rivian covers most of the premiums.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
Candidate Data Privacy
Rivian may collect, use and disclose your personal information or personal data (within the meaning of the applicable data protection laws) when you apply for employment and/or participate in our recruitment processes (“Candidate Personal Data”). This data includes contact, demographic, communications, educational, professional, employment, social media/website, network/device, recruiting system usage/interaction, security and preference information. Rivian may use your Candidate Personal Data for the purposes of (i) tracking interactions with our recruiting system; (ii) carrying out, analyzing and improving our application and recruitment process, including assessing you and your application and conducting employment, background and reference checks; (iii) establishing an employment relationship or entering into an employment contract with you; (iv) complying with our legal, regulatory and corporate governance obligations; (v) recordkeeping; (vi) ensuring network and information security and preventing fraud; and (vii) as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law.
Rivian may share your Candidate Personal Data with (i) internal personnel who have a need to know such information in order to perform their duties, including individuals on our People Team, Finance, Legal, and the team(s) with the position(s) for which you are applying; (ii) Rivian affiliates; and (iii) Rivian’s service providers, including providers of background checks, staffing services, and cloud services.
Rivian may transfer or store internationally your Candidate Personal Data, including to or in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the European Union and in the cloud, and this data may be subject to the laws and accessible to the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities of such jurisdictions.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.