Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
- As a Design-for-Reliability Engineer focusing on structural systems, you will play a key role in designing reliability into the Rivian’s body and chassis systems products from concept to production phases.
- You will get to work with a world-class team of design and validation engineers to come up with creative solutions to some of the most challenging engineering problems by thinking outside the box.
- Be the resident reliability development expert to the chassis and body design team.
- Set and communicate Reliability requirements and targets for components, subsystems, and assemblies.
- Analyze usage and environmental conditions in order to improve requirement setting and testing methods.
- Facilitate Design FMEA sessions in order to drive reliable design choices and improve validation test planning.
- Participate in design reviews and facilitate the reliability section of the design review.
- Develop reliability design guidelines and apply reliability lessons learned to enable continuous improvement.
- Devise accelerated test methods to explore design margins and grow reliability efficiently.
- Partner with the simulation teams to assess problem areas before physical parts are available for testing.
- Specify reliability validation plans for components and subsystems using a physics of failure approach.
- Provide guidance on sample size requirements and duration for reliability testing by utilizing reliability statistics.
- Must-have domain knowledge:
- Physics of failure knowledge for mechanical structures
- Understanding of degradation of mechanical and structural components and fundamental understanding of fatigue.
- Understanding of mechanics of materials, fracture mechanics and mechanical design.
- Understanding of Highly Accelerated Testing methods and governing equations for different types of failure mechanisms.
- Minimum requirement is a Bachelor of Science in an engineering discipline or equivalent. Preferably one or more years of industry experience in a reliability engineering role. Level of Role depends on experience and qualifications. In addition, a strong technical background and interest in reliability.
- Experience with facilitating FMEAs and leading cross functional teams.
- Working knowledge of a coding language, preferably Python.
- Working knowledge of statistical software for reliability, such as JMP or the ReliaSoft suite.
- A desire to contribute to a respectful, fun, inclusive and inspiring team culture.
Salary Range for California Based Applicants: $130,000-$150,000 (actual compensation will be determined based on experience, location, and other factors permitted by law).
- Benefits Summary: Rivian provides robust medical/Rx, dental and vision insurance packages for full-time employees, their spouse or domestic partner, and children up to age 26. Coverage is effective on the first day of employment, and Rivian covers most of the premiums.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
Candidate Data Privacy
Rivian may collect, use and disclose your personal information or personal data (within the meaning of the applicable data protection laws) when you apply for employment and/or participate in our recruitment processes (“Candidate Personal Data”). This data includes contact, demographic, communications, educational, professional, employment, social media/website, network/device, recruiting system usage/interaction, security and preference information. Rivian may use your Candidate Personal Data for the purposes of (i) tracking interactions with our recruiting system; (ii) carrying out, analyzing and improving our application and recruitment process, including assessing you and your application and conducting employment, background and reference checks; (iii) establishing an employment relationship or entering into an employment contract with you; (iv) complying with our legal, regulatory and corporate governance obligations; (v) recordkeeping; (vi) ensuring network and information security and preventing fraud; and (vii) as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law.
Rivian may share your Candidate Personal Data with (i) internal personnel who have a need to know such information in order to perform their duties, including individuals on our People Team, Finance, Legal, and the team(s) with the position(s) for which you are applying; (ii) Rivian affiliates; and (iii) Rivian’s service providers, including providers of background checks, staffing services, and cloud services.
Rivian may transfer or store internationally your Candidate Personal Data, including to or in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the European Union and in the cloud, and this data may be subject to the laws and accessible to the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities of such jurisdictions.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.