Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
Internship Term: Summer 2023
Rivian internships are experiences optimized for student candidates. To be eligible, you must be an undergraduate or graduate student in an accredited program during the internship term with an expected graduation date between Fall 2023 through Fall 2025.
If you are not pursuing a degree, please see our full time positions at Rivian.com/careers
Note that if your university has specific requirements for internship programs, it is your responsibility to fulfill those requirements.
Join a team developing next-generation battery cells for Rivian Cell Formation. Involved in designing the Automated Test Equipment through prototype, integration, and validation.
Summer 2023 mechanical equipment design internship in cell formation
- Work with product integration teams to come up with novel tests and prototyping methods for realizing concept designs into state-of-art cell designs and future battery packs.
- Develop a concept and build a prototype solution
- Develop test setups and design experiments to learn about key equipment parameters, evaluate designs, and Cost analysis
- Create 2D drawings with GD&T and specifications in line with common industry practices
- Work with machine shops and fabricators to purchase and manufacture the designs
- Develop equipment validation plan & documentation
- Perform tooling validation with the engineers/technicians
- Performs other duties as required or assigned within the scope of the position.
- Must be currently pursuing a bachelors, masters, or PhD degree at an accredited university
- Actively pursuing a degree or one closely related in Materials Science, Chemical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering.
- Proficiency in designing automated equipment, test fixtures and tooling in CAD (Solidworks, Catia is a plus) & AutoCAD 2D.
- Well organized with meticulous attention to detail
- Excellent fundamental engineering knowledge with examples of applied engineering success
- Basic understanding of material science of components used in mechanical design (metals, insulators, plastics, connectors, gaskets, etc)
- Ability to perform first-principles analysis to ensure a successful design (stress-strain, thermal, tolerance, cost and mass optimization, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability or ability to learn to create products: CAD design to hand on prototyping
- A detail-oriented personality with solid documentation, reporting skills, organization and Strong communication
- Proven ability to research information, solve challenging problems, and coordinate projects under tight timing constraints. Failure analysis experience preferred.
Salary Range/Hourly Rate for Internships: The range of pay for internships is 25.00-51.00 per hour. Actual compensation will be determined based on location, and other factors permitted by law.
Rivian provides robust wellness benefits, and a medical insurance package for interns, their spouse or domestic partner, and children up to age 26. Coverage is effective on the first day of employment, and Rivian covers most of the premiums.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidate Data Privacy
Rivian may collect, use and disclose your personal information or personal data (within the meaning of the applicable data protection laws) when you apply for employment and/or participate in our recruitment processes (“Candidate Personal Data”). This data includes contact, demographic, communications, educational, professional, employment, social media/website, network/device, recruiting system usage/interaction, security and preference information. Rivian may use your Candidate Personal Data for the purposes of (i) tracking interactions with our recruiting system; (ii) carrying out, analyzing and improving our application and recruitment process, including assessing you and your application and conducting employment, background and reference checks; (iii) establishing an employment relationship or entering into an employment contract with you; (iv) complying with our legal, regulatory and corporate governance obligations; (v) recordkeeping; (vi) ensuring network and information security and preventing fraud; and (vii) as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law.
Rivian may share your Candidate Personal Data with (i) internal personnel who have a need to know such information in order to perform their duties, including individuals on our People Team, Finance, Legal, and the team(s) with the position(s) for which you are applying; (ii) Rivian affiliates; and (iii) Rivian’s service providers, including providers of background checks, staffing services, and cloud services.
Rivian may transfer or store internationally your Candidate Personal Data, including to or in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the European Union and in the cloud, and this data may be subject to the laws and accessible to the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities of such jurisdictions.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.