Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
Role Summary: Join a team developing next generation battery cells for Rivian! Work cross-functionally with internal cell manufacturing teams, design teams, and vehicle programs on cell validation test methods and cell evaluation metrics in order to determine acceptable cell capability and performance, provide feedback for cell design and manufacturing improvement. Function as a checks-and-balances influence on validation and test reports generated from internal teams during the design process. This role is located in Palo Alto California and reports directly to the Sr. Manager in Formation.
- Prepare and drive the validation planning and strategy for cell products.
- Develop internal validation standards and schedules for routine tasks, communicate the standards internally with cross-functional teams in Rivian.
- Conduct cell performance, life, abuse test, reliability test and degradation investigation, root-cause analysis for non-compliance cells during cell development and production.
- Lead the validation data analysis, prepare the reports, direct the communication and presentation of findings to project teams and at executive reviews; makes recommendations for changes and/or improvements, as applicable.
- Lead the development, ordering and installation of the validation equipment, work with external vendors
- Propose cell design/manufacturing/material improvement plans based on the data and experiment results.
- Work cross-functionally with all process and planning teams to align on validation goals, schedules.
- Interface with battery pack and vehicle validation teams.
- Masters/PhD degree in Materials/Chemical/Mechanical Engineering, or similar technical field.
- 8+ years of experience in Lithium-ion battery engineering (postgraduate) with knowledge on cell design and manufacturing; cell manufacturing and/or automotive industrial experience is preferred.
- Deep understanding of the Li ion cell chemistries, mechanical designs, performance and abuse tests.
- Experience creating validation plans for li-ion cell design.
- Experience working and testing cell sub-components and sub-products during manufacturing and final product testing.
- Understanding of overall cell manufacturing and pack system architecture.
- Knowledge of MSA and statistical data analysis.
- Knowledge of industry and quality standards and tools including IATF16949, APQP, PPAP, FMEA, DVP&R
- Hands on experience of characterization techniques including but not limited to SEM/EDS, XRD, XPS, CT, FTIR, GC-MS, TGA, DSC.
- Hands on experience on cell teardown, failure analysis.
- Intimate knowledge in analyzing cell cycling, electrochemical measurement data, and material characterization results in order to evaluate performance and solve cell design and development issues.
- Critical problem-solving skills: ability to ask the right people, the right questions at the right time in the right way.
- Detail oriented: ability to become subject matter expert in order to make informed decisions.
- Curiosity: demonstrated level of interest that enables inventiveness.
- Execution: demonstrate that follow-through is given as much attention as problem solving.
- Capable of working as a member of a team across several cross functional disciplines, including product design, quality, construction, production, supply chain, controls, external vendors etc.
Travel Requirement up to 25%
Salary Range for California Based Applicants: $144,000 - $190,000 (actual compensation will be determined based on experience, location, and other factors permitted by law).
Benefits Summary: Rivian provides robust medical/Rx, dental and vision insurance packages for full-time employees, their spouse or domestic partner, and children up to age 26. Coverage is effective on the first day of employment, and Rivian covers most of the premiums.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidate Data Privacy
Rivian may collect, use and disclose your personal information or personal data (within the meaning of the applicable data protection laws) when you apply for employment and/or participate in our recruitment processes (“Candidate Personal Data”). This data includes contact, demographic, communications, educational, professional, employment, social media/website, network/device, recruiting system usage/interaction, security and preference information. Rivian may use your Candidate Personal Data for the purposes of (i) tracking interactions with our recruiting system; (ii) carrying out, analyzing and improving our application and recruitment process, including assessing you and your application and conducting employment, background and reference checks; (iii) establishing an employment relationship or entering into an employment contract with you; (iv) complying with our legal, regulatory and corporate governance obligations; (v) recordkeeping; (vi) ensuring network and information security and preventing fraud; and (vii) as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law.
Rivian may share your Candidate Personal Data with (i) internal personnel who have a need to know such information in order to perform their duties, including individuals on our People Team, Finance, Legal, and the team(s) with the position(s) for which you are applying; (ii) Rivian affiliates; and (iii) Rivian’s service providers, including providers of background checks, staffing services, and cloud services.
Rivian may transfer or store internationally your Candidate Personal Data, including to or in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the European Union and in the cloud, and this data may be subject to the laws and accessible to the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities of such jurisdictions.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.