Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
*Travel to suppliers, partners, and manufacturing plant as required*
The vehicle line director will be tasked with leading the development of a vehicle project at Rivian. They will need to lead teams in the execution of highly complex engineering solutions that enable the delivery of world-class products that meet content, cost, timing, performance, and quality targets. Each Vehicle Line Director leads a small support team and indirectly leads across all functions involved in delivering a vehicle program and works alongside the platform Chief Engineer to deliver functional excellence.
- Provide technical guidance for vehicle development, architecture, bill of material selection, engineering work orders, and issue resolution.
- Ensure that the vehicle program and systems meet all requirements from part level/vehicle validation/performance all the way to program timing and business requirements.
- Balance vehicle attributes, cost and timing vs. marketing and styling requirements
- Translate the voice of the customer (internal & external stakeholders) into vehicle level technical and commercial targets
- Develop and hold teams accountable to program milestones and objectives
- Drive world-class engineering solutions and develop new processes in a compressed timeline.
- Ensure effective decision making and risk management.
- Lead cross functional issue resolution and remove roadblocks internally and externally
- On-site leadership at assembly plant or test locations as needed.
- Main point of contact for customer/partner leadership to deliver on commitments and escalation path for working level teams for issue mitigation, arbitration & resolution.
- Passionate about self-driving vehicles, technology, and the execution of cutting-edge technology.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Robotics or a related field.
- Masters’ Degree (Preferred)
- 15+ years’ experience on a program team
- Design Release Experience
- Experience with autonomous vehicle compute systems, sensors, and vehicle integration is preferred
- A track record of successfully delivering large scale, complex, cross-functional and capital-intensive projects. Experience is preferred within automotive domain or to have demonstrated outstanding skills from an adjacent and relevant industry.
- Existing pedigree and success in customer/partner environment
- An ability to challenge existing assumptions, concepts, and beliefs to develop new methods.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to influence, inspire and build a culture that comes together to over deliver.
- Understanding of engineering theory, manufacturing techniques and principles of operation of mechanical/electrical systems from both a hardware and software perspective
- Able to work efficiently and demonstrate composure under high amount of work/stress.
- High level analytical ability where problems are unusual and complex.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidate Data Privacy
Rivian may collect, use and disclose your personal information or personal data (within the meaning of the applicable data protection laws) when you apply for employment and/or participate in our recruitment processes (“Candidate Personal Data”). This data includes contact, demographic, communications, educational, professional, employment, social media/website, network/device, recruiting system usage/interaction, security and preference information. Rivian may use your Candidate Personal Data for the purposes of (i) tracking interactions with our recruiting system; (ii) carrying out, analyzing and improving our application and recruitment process, including assessing you and your application and conducting employment, background and reference checks; (iii) establishing an employment relationship or entering into an employment contract with you; (iv) complying with our legal, regulatory and corporate governance obligations; (v) recordkeeping; (vi) ensuring network and information security and preventing fraud; and (vii) as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law.
Rivian may share your Candidate Personal Data with (i) internal personnel who have a need to know such information in order to perform their duties, including individuals on our People Team, Finance, Legal, and the team(s) with the position(s) for which you are applying; (ii) Rivian affiliates; and (iii) Rivian’s service providers, including providers of background checks, staffing services, and cloud services.
Rivian may transfer or store internationally your Candidate Personal Data, including to or in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the European Union and in the cloud, and this data may be subject to the laws and accessible to the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities of such jurisdictions.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.