Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
This role will be focused on operating and maintaining dynamometer test systems for the development and validation testing of electrified powertrain systems (drive units, gearboxes). The Test Technician will work closely with Powertrain Test Engineers to install, configure and maintain test properties across a variety of complex powertrain test equipment in order to execute and monitor testing to requirements specified by Powertrain Validation engineers. Supported by the rest of the engineering team, you will be responsible for performing first-line troubleshooting of any operational issues encountered on test and take ownership of delivering high-quality test data to support high-level Test & Validation plans for the products. This position is full-time on-site required. The opening will be located at our Plymouth Test Lab facility and report directly to the Laboratory Manager.
- Operate and maintain large dynamometers (for vehicle and powertrain system level testing)
- Select and install instrumentation needed to collect response data from product during testing (accelerometers, strain gauges, pressure gauges, thermocouples, thermistors, hygrometers, voltage drop sense leads, etc.)
- Build and setup test rigs/dynos for mechanical and/or electrical tests together with Powertrain, NVH, Thermal engineering teams
- Perform routine maintenance to complex mechanical and electrical repairs.
- Take active part in Environmental Heath & Safety within laboratory environment, contributing to Risk Assessments and ensuring a safe work environment
- Support Validation Engineers to perform upgrades and modifications to Systems Under Test
- Perform first line of fault finding for operational issues which arise on System Under Test
- Perform diagnosis and repair of prototype vehicle’s electrical/mechanical/software systems
- Support Test Engineers to achieve test plans and test equipment upgrade projects
- Document and communicate findings through process and systems, taking ownership of early escalation where appropriate
- Generate and take ownership of process documentation for test rigs and associated test equipment
- Provide feedback, create and implement processes and suggestions to new and/or improved workshop standards, protocols, and processes.
- 2+ years Technician Experience working directly in test cells and/or large dynamometer systems
- 2+ years experience with electrified vehicles preferred
- Expertise in instrumentation (Thermocouples, RTDs, Strain Gauges, Accelerometers, Hygrometers, Pressure Gauges, Flow Meters)
- Expertise in powertrain test set up and test error proofing
- Expertise in mechanical tooling and build fixture design
- Knowledge of motor, inverter, and gearbox concepts
- Knowledge of propulsion system and thermal (coolant and refrigerant) systems
- Knowledge of Electric Vehicle safety
- Work under strenuous / awkward positions throughout the working day.
- Operate a variety of scan tools, diagnostic equipment and common automotive test equipment
- Strong diagnostic and problem solving skills to solve powertrain system issues
- Someone that takes pride in their work
- Work in a team environment and communicate with fellow technicians
- Basic workshop etiquette, provide verbal and writing communication across all teams
- Available for weekend shifts (Schedule Thursday - Monday).
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
Candidate Data Privacy
Rivian may collect, use and disclose your personal information or personal data (within the meaning of the applicable data protection laws) when you apply for employment and/or participate in our recruitment processes (“Candidate Personal Data”). This data includes contact, demographic, communications, educational, professional, employment, social media/website, network/device, recruiting system usage/interaction, security and preference information. Rivian may use your Candidate Personal Data for the purposes of (i) tracking interactions with our recruiting system; (ii) carrying out, analyzing and improving our application and recruitment process, including assessing you and your application and conducting employment, background and reference checks; (iii) establishing an employment relationship or entering into an employment contract with you; (iv) complying with our legal, regulatory and corporate governance obligations; (v) recordkeeping; (vi) ensuring network and information security and preventing fraud; and (vii) as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law.
Rivian may share your Candidate Personal Data with (i) internal personnel who have a need to know such information in order to perform their duties, including individuals on our People Team, Finance, Legal, and the team(s) with the position(s) for which you are applying; (ii) Rivian affiliates; and (iii) Rivian’s service providers, including providers of background checks, staffing services, and cloud services.
Rivian may transfer or store internationally your Candidate Personal Data, including to or in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the European Union and in the cloud, and this data may be subject to the laws and accessible to the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities of such jurisdictions.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.