Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
This is an 8 month Co-op. Full-time employment is required.
- Co-op A: January-August (Spring/Summer)
Rivian internships are experiences optimized for student candidates. To be eligible, you must be an undergraduate or graduate student in an accredited program during the internship term with an expected graduation date between Fall 2023 through Fall 2025.
If you are not pursuing a degree, please see our full time positions at Rivian.com/careers
Note that if your university has specific requirements for internship programs, it is your responsibility to fulfill those requirements.
- Join the Cell Engineering team, leading next-generation battery technology for Rivian’s products.
- Evaluate and select cathode materials that meets Rivian’s requirements.
- Develop cathode materials for different Rivian’s applications.
- Work with cross functional teams internally and externally to bring new cathode technology to cell production.
- Investigate surface and bulk structure of the cathodes and the correlation with their performance and lifetime.
- Source/evaluating new emerging battery chemistry/technologies.
- Define cathode development roadmap for Rivian’s cell technology.
- Master’s Degree and/or Ph.D. in in materials science, chemistry, chemical engineering with exposure to Lithium Ion Battery research
- Knowledge or experience with cathode development is preferred
- Understanding of cathode and/or cell manufacturing process.
- Strong understanding about the chemistry of cathode materials and degradation mechanisms.
- Experience/knowledge about doping and surface modification. Hands on experience material synthesis.
- Understanding about electrochemical techniques such as CV, EIS, GITT, PITT…
- Hands on experience material characterization such as SEM, XRD, DSC, TEM, Raman, BET, ARC…
- Hands on experience with electrode processing including making slurry, coating, calendaring and drying.
- Experience with building coin cells.
- Experience in assembly ouch/cylindrical cell is a plus.
- Problem solving skills, think outside of the box.
- Desire to work in fast-paced environment.
- Passionate about research/work in lithium ion batteries, especially in EV. Willing to make extra effort to get the job done!
- Work well in a team as well as individually.
- Experience in data analysis tool such as Python is a plus.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidate Data Privacy
Rivian may collect, use and disclose your personal information or personal data (within the meaning of the applicable data protection laws) when you apply for employment and/or participate in our recruitment processes (“Candidate Personal Data”). This data includes contact, demographic, communications, educational, professional, employment, social media/website, network/device, recruiting system usage/interaction, security and preference information. Rivian may use your Candidate Personal Data for the purposes of (i) tracking interactions with our recruiting system; (ii) carrying out, analyzing and improving our application and recruitment process, including assessing you and your application and conducting employment, background and reference checks; (iii) establishing an employment relationship or entering into an employment contract with you; (iv) complying with our legal, regulatory and corporate governance obligations; (v) recordkeeping; (vi) ensuring network and information security and preventing fraud; and (vii) as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law.
Rivian may share your Candidate Personal Data with (i) internal personnel who have a need to know such information in order to perform their duties, including individuals on our People Team, Finance, Legal, and the team(s) with the position(s) for which you are applying; (ii) Rivian affiliates; and (iii) Rivian’s service providers, including providers of background checks, staffing services, and cloud services.
Rivian may transfer or store internationally your Candidate Personal Data, including to or in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the European Union and in the cloud, and this data may be subject to the laws and accessible to the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities of such jurisdictions.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.