Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
- Develop cell requirements/specifications for different Rivian products.
- Work with cell suppliers to design and evaluate cell technology that meet Rivian requirement for different applications/products.
- Design, develop and execute test methods to evaluate various lithium-ion battery cell chemistries. Coordinate resource for internal and external testing.
- Drive the decision for cell’s selection based on the test results.
- Use different electrochemical techniques to identify cell degradation mechanism.
- Use cell testing data to support control/estimation algorithms used in battery management system.
- Work with pack design engineers to define pathways to improve cell/pack design with enhanced performance and lifetime; develop intellectual property for Rivian battery cell technology.
- Review academic literature of lithium-ion cells and beyond to advance Rivian’ battery cell technology
- Train other engineers/technicians.
- Must have:
- MS degree in chemistry/chemical engineering/materials science with 2+ years of experience with hands-on testing of lithium-ion batteries. (PhD preferred)
- Demonstrated experience in characterizing lithium-ion cell.
- Strong understanding about electrochemistry properties of lithium-ion batteries.
- Familiar with dQdV, dVdQ.
- Having hands on experience/knowledge in electrochemical techniques such as EIS, GITT, CV, PITT…
- Strong understanding about cell’s components and their interactions inside the cell.
- Strong understanding of electrochemical processes in various lithium-ion chemistries.
- Excellent knowledge of development trend of lithium-ion battery.
- Can work independently with minimum supervision. Work well in a team.
- Problem solving skills, think outside of the box.
- Desire to work in fast-paced environment.
- Passionate about research/work in lithium-ion batteries, especially in EV. Willing making extra effort to get the job done!
- Good communication and time management skills.
- Nice to have:
- Good knowledge about fast charge development.
- Experience in estimate lifetime of lithium-ion battery.
- Experience in data analysis tool such as Python is a plus.
- Understanding of how battery cells are integrated into automotive (HEVs/PHEVs/EVs), or consumer electronics applications.
- Working knowledge of SAE, FMVSS, ECE, GBT/QCT standards and regulations relating to automotive traction batteries, and with statistical methods for understanding process capability.
- Experience with fault tree analysis and DFMEA/PFMEA of electrochemical systems, for identifying root cause and applying mitigation strategies to development issues.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidate Data Privacy
Rivian may collect, use and disclose your personal information or personal data (within the meaning of the applicable data protection laws) when you apply for employment and/or participate in our recruitment processes (“Candidate Personal Data”). This data includes contact, demographic, communications, educational, professional, employment, social media/website, network/device, recruiting system usage/interaction, security and preference information. Rivian may use your Candidate Personal Data for the purposes of (i) tracking interactions with our recruiting system; (ii) carrying out, analyzing and improving our application and recruitment process, including assessing you and your application and conducting employment, background and reference checks; (iii) establishing an employment relationship or entering into an employment contract with you; (iv) complying with our legal, regulatory and corporate governance obligations; (v) recordkeeping; (vi) ensuring network and information security and preventing fraud; and (vii) as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law.
Rivian may share your Candidate Personal Data with (i) internal personnel who have a need to know such information in order to perform their duties, including individuals on our People Team, Finance, Legal, and the team(s) with the position(s) for which you are applying; (ii) Rivian affiliates; and (iii) Rivian’s service providers, including providers of background checks, staffing services, and cloud services.
Rivian may transfer or store internationally your Candidate Personal Data, including to or in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the European Union and in the cloud, and this data may be subject to the laws and accessible to the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities of such jurisdictions.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.