Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
As the Senior Technical Safety Engineer you will work with ADAS Functional Safety Engineers and System Engineers to identify functional insufficiencies and triggering events including misuse scenarios associated with ADAS features designed for Rivian vehicles. In this role, you will work cross functionally to develop engineering solutions based on existing automotive industry standards (Ie. ISO 21448, UL 4600, IEEE 2846, etc.).
- Develop work products in accordance with Rivian’s internal safety process based of existing industry standards
- Perform hazard identification and risk evaluation based on functional system specification and identify risk acceptance criteria
- Identify potential functional insufficiencies and triggering events by utilizing analysis techniques such as HAZOP, FTA, FMEA, STPA and misuse analysis
- Collaborate cross functionally with functional safety engineers, system architects, software developers and verification engineers to ensure that the SOTIF safety concepts and requirements are aligned with the overall design strategy.
- Derive validation and verification test scenarios to demonstrate safety of ADAS features
- Provide feedback and improve the internal processes
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Computer Science with 5+ years of relevant experience
- Strong ADAS system engineering background
- Working knowledge of relevant standards and methods such as ISO26262 and ISO 21448
- Experience performing System Safety Engineering tasks for ADAS features such as various analysis techniques (HAZOP/HARA, FMEA, FTA, STPA, etc)
- Ability to drive technical solutions for SW and HW design
- Good interpersonal and communication skills with a high level of integrity
- Experience working within a cross-functional team
Nice to have:
- General knowledge of machine learning
- Working knowledge of System-Theoretic Process Analysis (STPA)
- Experience in probabilistic modeling of traffic scenarios
- Knowledge of system and vehicle simulations techniques used for ADAS features
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidate Data Privacy
Rivian may collect, use and disclose your personal information or personal data (within the meaning of the applicable data protection laws) when you apply for employment and/or participate in our recruitment processes (“Candidate Personal Data”). This data includes contact, demographic, communications, educational, professional, employment, social media/website, network/device, recruiting system usage/interaction, security and preference information. Rivian may use your Candidate Personal Data for the purposes of (i) tracking interactions with our recruiting system; (ii) carrying out, analyzing and improving our application and recruitment process, including assessing you and your application and conducting employment, background and reference checks; (iii) establishing an employment relationship or entering into an employment contract with you; (iv) complying with our legal, regulatory and corporate governance obligations; (v) recordkeeping; (vi) ensuring network and information security and preventing fraud; and (vii) as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law.
Rivian may share your Candidate Personal Data with (i) internal personnel who have a need to know such information in order to perform their duties, including individuals on our People Team, Finance, Legal, and the team(s) with the position(s) for which you are applying; (ii) Rivian affiliates; and (iii) Rivian’s service providers, including providers of background checks, staffing services, and cloud services.
Rivian may transfer or store internationally your Candidate Personal Data, including to or in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the European Union and in the cloud, and this data may be subject to the laws and accessible to the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities of such jurisdictions.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.