Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
Rivian Electrical R&D are the backbone of GSD (Getting Stuff Done!) for our Hardware teams. Rivian is continuing to integrate major electrical systems and components and rapidly growing vertically. This growth equals rapid career advancement opportunities for those that love challenges and fast-paced high-performance culture.
- Conceptualize design and perform numerical simulations to address a variety of thermal design challenges for leading-edge vehicle electrical hardware.
- Develop electronic cooling and packaging solutions for next generation vehicle architectures and electronic systems.
- Define and support best practices for how CFD can be used towards electronic thermal management for high-power requirements.
- Develop strategies for optimizing thermal and mechanical components by minimizing mass, cost and material usage.
- Provide detailed and actionable design suggestions including thermal stack-up, cooling layout and material selection to engineers responsible for detailed design of vehicle electronics.
- Coordinate and work with other analysts across other departments to coordinate analysis methodologies and design constraints.
- Own and drive thermal methodologies, deliverables and test specifications to support modeling efforts.
- Work in multidisciplinary teams and drive product and engineering excellence.
- Perform other duties as required or assigned within the scope of the position
- Bachelors Degree in Mechanical/Thermal Engineering or equivalent; Masters or PhD preferred.
- 7+ years of experience in providing electronic cooling solutions, including heat sink design, fan development and evaluation of thermal interface materials.
- Deep understanding of conduction, convection and radiation.
- Strong expertise with computational modeling and common CFD analysis tools, such as Flotherm, Ansys, Star CCM.
- Experience with flow and measurement techniques.
- Experience with 3D CAD, scripting and data analysis.
- Strong grasp of failure analysis methodologies and experience with product reliability and validation procedures.
- Experience developing and leading other multidisciplinary engineers.
- Excellent communication skills across all functions and levels.
- Excellent documentation practices.
- Fluent written and spoken English.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
Candidate Data Privacy
Rivian may collect, use and disclose your personal information or personal data (within the meaning of the applicable data protection laws) when you apply for employment and/or participate in our recruitment processes (“Candidate Personal Data”). This data includes contact, demographic, communications, educational, professional, employment, social media/website, network/device, recruiting system usage/interaction, security and preference information. Rivian may use your Candidate Personal Data for the purposes of (i) tracking interactions with our recruiting system; (ii) carrying out, analyzing and improving our application and recruitment process, including assessing you and your application and conducting employment, background and reference checks; (iii) establishing an employment relationship or entering into an employment contract with you; (iv) complying with our legal, regulatory and corporate governance obligations; (v) recordkeeping; (vi) ensuring network and information security and preventing fraud; and (vii) as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law.
Rivian may share your Candidate Personal Data with (i) internal personnel who have a need to know such information in order to perform their duties, including individuals on our People Team, Finance, Legal, and the team(s) with the position(s) for which you are applying; (ii) Rivian affiliates; and (iii) Rivian’s service providers, including providers of background checks, staffing services, and cloud services.
Rivian may transfer or store internationally your Candidate Personal Data, including to or in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the European Union and in the cloud, and this data may be subject to the laws and accessible to the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities of such jurisdictions.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.