Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
The Future Programs team exists to expand the definition of Electric Adventure Vehicle with new product and ecosystem solutions. We are specifically focused on addressing local transportation and the outsized impact towards Keeping the World Adventurous Forever that comes with disrupting short, high emission trips.
- Using first principles, electric propulsion specific knowledge and strong physical system modeling skills – play a key role in a cross functional electric transportation product team
- Utilize Matlab, Simulink and Simscape skills to model physical systems broadly and perform system level analysis, design trade studies and optimization
- Macro subjects include vehicle level performance prediction and design tradeoffs involving acceleration, range, drag, mass, thermal management, various maneuvers and drive cycle profiles
- Perform detailed motor design simulations and optimizations in the 2D cross section and 3D domains via Ansys or other modern Multiphysics FEA tools
- Perform detailed power conversion sizing studies optimizing for mass, cost, thermal, etc
- Run benchmarking analysis and experiments to understand competitive product specifications and ensure that Rivian products are significantly differentiated
- Run or collaborate on user experiments to define key design and verification drive cycles and operating points
- Participate in industry test standard definition processes for vehicle energy, power, range tests
- Participate in test procedure definition and operations of key test methods including motor dynamometer, powertrain dynamometer, battery cycling, etc.
- Collaborate closely with mechanical design, electrical design, controls and embedded software teams
- 10+ year track record of in depth modeling, test and development accomplishments in applications such as motor driven powertrains, electric vehicles, battery energy storage devices
- Deep expertise in rotary motor design and manufacturing processes
- Knowledge of inverter or synchronous motor drive design and sizing
- Strong engineering fundamentals in the areas of physical system modeling and testing via programming and data visualization in Matlab/Simulink/Simscape as well as other application specific tools
- Formal mechanical or electrical engineering education, M.S. minimum, higher education preferred
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidate Data Privacy
Rivian may collect, use and disclose your personal information or personal data (within the meaning of the applicable data protection laws) when you apply for employment and/or participate in our recruitment processes (“Candidate Personal Data”). This data includes contact, demographic, communications, educational, professional, employment, social media/website, network/device, recruiting system usage/interaction, security and preference information. Rivian may use your Candidate Personal Data for the purposes of (i) tracking interactions with our recruiting system; (ii) carrying out, analyzing and improving our application and recruitment process, including assessing you and your application and conducting employment, background and reference checks; (iii) establishing an employment relationship or entering into an employment contract with you; (iv) complying with our legal, regulatory and corporate governance obligations; (v) recordkeeping; (vi) ensuring network and information security and preventing fraud; and (vii) as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law.
Rivian may share your Candidate Personal Data with (i) internal personnel who have a need to know such information in order to perform their duties, including individuals on our People Team, Finance, Legal, and the team(s) with the position(s) for which you are applying; (ii) Rivian affiliates; and (iii) Rivian’s service providers, including providers of background checks, staffing services, and cloud services.
Rivian may transfer or store internationally your Candidate Personal Data, including to or in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the European Union and in the cloud, and this data may be subject to the laws and accessible to the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities of such jurisdictions.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.