Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
Equipment & Process Development
- Design and deliver entire Paint & General Assembly production lines and processes
- Integrate new vehicle models into existing facilities
- Architect and implement line re-rate projects
- Define the assembly process flow, build sequence, logistics strategies, equipment and tooling specifications for Paint & General Assembly
- Partner with Operations teams to ensure a successful ramp and long-term production at our facilities
- In-house development of workstations, manufacturing equipment and fixtures
- Develop equipment qualification including correlation, process capability (CP/CPK) and Gage Repeatability / Reproducibility (GR&R)
- Management of equipment suppliers / partners during specification, design, buyoff, installation, commissioning and ramp up
- Drive the continuous evolution of Rivian equipment standards
- Ensure achievement of safety, quality, cost, timing & performance targets
- Provide regular, metric-based project updates to the management team.
- Challenge assumptions that are not backed up by a thorough engineering evaluation.
- Provide the Product Engineering team with feedback to enable quality cost efficient manufacturability, at rate, without compromising product function or performance.
- Drive the continuous evolution of Rivian Design for Manufacture (DFM) standards
- Participate in early prototype builds to validate manufacturability
- Be part of a world-class engineering team, with a focus on high quality work and rapid project deployment.
- Support other Manufacturing Engineering groups to ensure that decisions and solutions are optimized for Rivian (not silo mindset).
- Actively look for ways to add value beyond specifically assigned scope of work
- Mentor and provide guidance to Manufacturing Engineering team members
- Supporting recruiting efforts to attract, select, develop and retain world-class talent
- Foster an environment where individuals flourish
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or similar technical field.
- 7+ years of experience in an engineering role related to automated equipment and processes, preferably from concept definition to fully ramped.
- Demonstrated ability to optimize existing processes for rate, yield, availability
- Proven success at delivering complex projects
- Detailed knowledge of manufacturing and processing principles (cycle time analysis, quality control, equipment efficiency, equipment selection, return on investment, error proofing, ergonomics, material logistics)
- Demonstrated ability to effectively solve difficult technical problems
- Ability to work independently with only general guidance.
- Ability to lead technical team members
- Capable of working as a member of a team across several cross functional disciplines, including with external stakeholders.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience working in both 2D & 3D CAD environments
- Experience with robot automation cells
- Experience with conveyors & controls automation
- Experience with Pre-treatment & E-coat process
- Detailed Chemistry knowledge
- An understanding of fluid dynamics
- A comprehensive understanding of Product Lifecycle Management (PLM)
Department: Manufacturing Engineering
Location: Palo Alto CA, Normal IL, Irvine CA, Plymouth MI
Extensive business travel will be required during certain phases of the project life cycles
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
Candidate Data Privacy
Rivian may collect, use and disclose your personal information or personal data (within the meaning of the applicable data protection laws) when you apply for employment and/or participate in our recruitment processes (“Candidate Personal Data”). This data includes contact, demographic, communications, educational, professional, employment, social media/website, network/device, recruiting system usage/interaction, security and preference information. Rivian may use your Candidate Personal Data for the purposes of (i) tracking interactions with our recruiting system; (ii) carrying out, analyzing and improving our application and recruitment process, including assessing you and your application and conducting employment, background and reference checks; (iii) establishing an employment relationship or entering into an employment contract with you; (iv) complying with our legal, regulatory and corporate governance obligations; (v) recordkeeping; (vi) ensuring network and information security and preventing fraud; and (vii) as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law.
Rivian may share your Candidate Personal Data with (i) internal personnel who have a need to know such information in order to perform their duties, including individuals on our People Team, Finance, Legal, and the team(s) with the position(s) for which you are applying; (ii) Rivian affiliates; and (iii) Rivian’s service providers, including providers of background checks, staffing services, and cloud services.
Rivian may transfer or store internationally your Candidate Personal Data, including to or in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the European Union and in the cloud, and this data may be subject to the laws and accessible to the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities of such jurisdictions.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.