Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
Rivian is looking to hire a Director, Cost Engineering to lead its Cost Engineering team as well as company-wide product cost improvement efforts. This role is based in Irvine, CA.
- Lead through others, both directly and indirectly. You will be the head of the Cost Engineering team but also drive the cross-functional, company-wide effort to improve product margins
- Interface with C-level executives on a recurring basis to provide updates on both margin trajectory and specific cost reduction projects
- Scale your influence. You'll need to empower and educate the engineering and supply chain teams to make micro- and macro-decisions that positively influence product margins
- Lead brainstorming activities to generate novel ideas for cost reductions through design and commercial changes without sacrificing our product or customer experience
- Transform and operate the process by which we consolidate and report on each individual margin improvement effort across bill of materials, logistics, manufacturing, warranty, and pricing
- Influence from within the Finance organization, reporting to the head of Operations Finance
- Serve as the single expert on cost reductions for our vehicle products
- A passion for sustainability and keeping the world adventurous forever
- Top-tier analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills
- Experience driving significant cross-functional change in a dynamic environment, preferably relating to cost reduction and a physical product
- An extremely proactive mindset that allows you to see around corners and anticipate problems before anyone else.
- Ability to distill complex problems into simple stories for executive digestion
- Meticulous attention to detail with the ability to zoom out
- Ability to adapt in an ever-changing and ambiguous environment with imperfect data
- Strong proficiency with Excel and PowerPoint; familiarity with other BI/Visualization programs a plus
- Minimum 12 years of relevant background in Engineering, Manufacturing, Supply Chain, Finance, Program Management, and/or another related field
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Supply Chain, Finance or relevant experience in a related field highly preferred, MBA or Masters in Engineering or Supply Chain Management is a plus
- Willingness to travel up to 33% across various Rivian sites nationwide
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
Candidate Data Privacy
Rivian may collect, use and disclose your personal information or personal data (within the meaning of the applicable data protection laws) when you apply for employment and/or participate in our recruitment processes (“Candidate Personal Data”). This data includes contact, demographic, communications, educational, professional, employment, social media/website, network/device, recruiting system usage/interaction, security and preference information. Rivian may use your Candidate Personal Data for the purposes of (i) tracking interactions with our recruiting system; (ii) carrying out, analyzing and improving our application and recruitment process, including assessing you and your application and conducting employment, background and reference checks; (iii) establishing an employment relationship or entering into an employment contract with you; (iv) complying with our legal, regulatory and corporate governance obligations; (v) recordkeeping; (vi) ensuring network and information security and preventing fraud; and (vii) as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law.
Rivian may share your Candidate Personal Data with (i) internal personnel who have a need to know such information in order to perform their duties, including individuals on our People Team, Finance, Legal, and the team(s) with the position(s) for which you are applying; (ii) Rivian affiliates; and (iii) Rivian’s service providers, including providers of background checks, staffing services, and cloud services.
Rivian may transfer or store internationally your Candidate Personal Data, including to or in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the European Union and in the cloud, and this data may be subject to the laws and accessible to the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities of such jurisdictions.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.