Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
Join us on a mission to build the best batteries for Rivian!
This is what you’ll do:
- Build a world-class, high functioning department within the team that delivers next generation battery cells for Rivian!
- Define and execute long/short term strategy for our automation technology and controls for our in-house cell program
- Push team to inject innovative solutions to an industry that needs a fresh rethink
- Lead controls standards and architecture for current and next generation automation to 0 commissioning time, eliminating common downtimes, easing maintainability
- Outpace Rivian’s EV ramp by providing the right balance between off the shelf vs in house solutions
- Facilitate inter-departmental integration, work collaboratively to balance priorities to fix the wholistic system
- Lead technical work that optimizes Li-Ion battery scalability, safety, cost, performance, environmental, social and governmental impacts,
- Design detailed roadmap for automation development, milestones and timelines with resources needed to execute
- Provide expert level leadership, provide other executive team member’s objective evaluations of a variety of program’s status’s and roadmap
- Execute on high level company objectives carefully balancing conflicting priorities
this is what you’ll need
- Masters/PhD degree in Material/Electrical/Mechanical Engineering, or similar technical field
- 12+ years of experience in battery, design, process or manufacturing engineering
- 7+ years of leadership experience
- Extensive Automation, PLC Controls manufacturing experience
- Proven ability to scale process/equipment from lab to high volume production
- Demonstrated people management, team building, technical leadership and proven decision making skills;
- Exceptional experimentation, system design, and materials characterization abilities;
- Extensive experience with integrating and developing new products, materials, processes and equipment
- A strong sense of urgency, work well under pressure and determine the right balance with competing demands
- Experience in high-speed automation, mechanical design (CAD) and data collection (MES)
- Highly data driven; familiar with statistical software and driving teams to make informed decisions
- Ability to follow through and make significant progress in a fast pace, demanding, dynamic environment
- Knowledgeable in high and low volume manufacturing (proto-typing, OEE, equipment selection, DFM, 8D, CAD)
- Critical problem-solving skills: ability to ask the right people, the right questions at the right time in the right way
- Detail oriented: ability to become subject matter expert in order to make informed decisions
- Curiosity: demonstrate level of interest that enables inventiveness
- Execution: demonstrate that follow through is given as much attention as problem solving
- Capable of leading teams across several cross functional disciplines, including product design, quality, construction, production, supply chain, controls, external vendors etc.
This is where you’ll work:
Department: Cell Engineering
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.