Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
The Building Infrastructure Design team plans and oversees the design and construction of the building systems that keep Rivian’s facilities running like a well-oiled machine. We’re a diverse team of MEP, FP, Structural & Civil engineers, Technical Program Managers and Engineering Specialists that come together to build world-class facilities to enable Rivian to scale. We challenge the status quo and deliver innovative solutions to complex problems across Rivian’s portfolio of vehicle production facilities, customer experience centers, charging, corporate office and R&D facilities.
The Building Infrastructure Design team’s work spans across a project lifecycle from early concepts (project scoping and due diligence) through developing Construction Documents (CD sets) and Construction Administration. Projects range in size from minor building retrofits through to full greenfield factories. As a manager within the group, you will oversee a multi-disciplinary team executing scope within a portion of our production space (e.g., paint shop, CUP, cell), and scale your team’s impact across multiple facilities as Rivian scales.
- Support the team – Lead and champion the team to enable them to deal with varied engineering challenges from concept to completion. Work to understand each team member on an individual basis and ensure that they feel supported to the point that they can do their best work. Remove red tape and barriers to productivity. Represent the team when dealing with executive level stakeholders and ensure that Rivian’s workplace culture is pervasive.
- Forge Partnerships – Build relationships with our internal teams across design, construction and operations. A successful manager will understand the key drivers of the different internal groups and will work to ensure that the correct stakeholders are involved in decision making. Understand workflows across the business and work to efficiently integrate building engineering processes. Develop strong ties with our external partners and communicate with them open and honestly to ensure smooth project delivery.
- Drive Innovation – Roadmap, resource and manage projects which moves Rivian towards its goal of building world-class, sustainable buildings. You will create a working environment which encourages innovation through collaboration and a first principles approach to design. You will leverage subject matter expertise within the team to achieve cost reductions without compromising on quality.
- Lay the foundation – Work with your team to develop tools and processes which streamline the way in which we design Rivian’s built environment. Ensure that communication between the Building Infrastructure team and our external partners is seamless through development of clear, concise design standards and efficient onboarding processes. Create prototype design documentation to capture the Rivian approach to design.
- Knowledge sharing – Identify and remove knowledge silos. Strive to promote cross functional collaboration as a fundamental way in which the team operates. Encourage communication within and across teams, both at a leadership level and a project delivery level.
- 10+ years of engineering design experience, 3+ years of leading technical teams.
- Bachelor of Engineering or Science
- Demonstrated excellence in delivering commercial infrastructure projects - from conceptual planning, through detailed design to construction administration and support.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and lead world class engineering talent.
- Detailed knowledge of each phase of facility project delivery and the stakeholders involved in a large project.
- Ability to ask the right people, the right questions at the right time in the right way.
- Excellent leadership and people management skills.
- Ability to speak with and manage a variety of cross-functional team-members and understand the interdependencies of each team, both internal and external.
- Be inspired and motivated to solve technically complex problems.
- Licensed Professional Engineer.
- Experience with both large greenfield and brownfield projects.
THIS IS WHERE YOU’LL WORK
- Department: Building Infrastructure Design.
- Locations: Palo Alto, CA; Irvine, CA.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.