Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
The Cell Manufacturing team aims to develop and deliver the next-generation battery cells that unlock scalability while enabling safety, performance, and reliability. Our mission is to own the design, analysis, and delivery of the product to meet the vehicle powertrain needs for Rivian!
We are looking for talented Controls Engineers to join us to collaborate and mentor cross functionally with design, quality, and manufacturing teams to develop equipment, processes, and products while ensuring the highest quality and safety in our battery cells.
As an Automation Controls Engineer within the Cell team, you will develop the processes and high-speed equipment to enable high volume cell manufacturing. To develop the cell manufacturing process, you will identify technologies for use in cell manufacturing, such as machine vision, linear servo conveyance, laser cutting/welding, etc., and develop the application of those technologies to optimize the cell manufacturing process and equipment. Equipment design responsibilities will include the design of sensing strategies, specification of appropriate hardware and components, and implementation of robust control strategies, reliable safety systems, and operator-friendly HMIs. To help Rivian produce the most robust equipment across the organization you will collaborate with the Rivian team to develop controls standards and specifications.
When working with vendors to develop manufacturing equipment, you will assist with RFQ preparation, design reviews, and commissioning. You will establish test plans and control test plan execution at vendor and Rivian facilities during installation and buy-off (FAT, SAT, Safety Buyoff). Throughout the process, you will follow up with vendors to keep track of high-level project goals and ensure project success by highlighting challenges early and working collaboratively to mitigate gaps.
- Bachelors/Masters in Electrical Engineering, Controls & Computer Control Systems, Mechatronic Engineering, or similar technical field
- 5+ years of hands-on Controls Engineering or Applications Engineering experience in a fast-paced manufacturing environment
- Familiarity with common controls hardware components used in high volume manufacturing
- Experience programming Siemens, Allen Bradley, or Beckhoff PLCs
- Experience programming safety PLCs (SIMATIC Safety Integrated, Allen Bradley Control Logix, or Beckhoff TwinSAFE)
- Deep knowledge of safety standards (ANSI/RAI15.06, ISO 13849, IEC 62061)
- Experience programming HMIs using Ignition, SIMATIC WinCC or TwinCAT HMI, or similar
- Ability to deep dive into manufacturing processes and technologies and become a subject matter expert
- Deep knowledge of Electrical Standards (NFPA79, National Electric code, UL508A)
- Prior experience developing detailed electrical and fluid schematics in CAD (AutoCAD Electrical, EPlan, or similar)
- Experience programming and simulating industrial robotics (Fanuc, Kuka, or similar)
- Experience with industrial vision systems and lighting
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.