Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
- Join a team developing next generation battery cells for Rivian!
- The factory that supports cell manufacturing is a technological challenge that needs constant optimization. Learn, understand, and own the material flow and layout design for novel cell manufacturing equipment and processes. Develop a deep knowledge of how the manufacturing process ties into the factory “system”. Define and understand how the factory impacts the equipment and process, and vice versa.
- To meet our goals—from conceptual cell design to multiple mass production factories—we must be able to execute design and construction efficiently and accurately. Manage the interface points between the factory infrastructure and manufacturing equipment.
- Manage and track factory throughput from pilot to mass-production scale. Advise the team on where bottle necks are (or will be), and develop plans to mitigate these bottlenecks.
- Develop manufacturing capacity and material forecast models for existing and future areas
- Quantify impact of product design on throughput, performance and utilization
- Figure out the best way to get material from point A to point B. Justify material transport equipment costs with labor and throughput savings.
- Facilitate technology tradeoffs to drive decision making for current and future facilities. Collect and generate data (capital and operational costs, timelines and durations, footprints, energy impacts, etc.) to fully develop all options
- Explore industry research, new technologies, alternative methods and process techniques to establish novel approaches to improve factory cost, speed, and reliability
- Experience: 2+ years of experience in material flow equipment design or manufacturing equipment installation/execution/ramp.
- Education: 4-year degree (Bachelors or Masters) in Industrial or Manufacturing Engineering, or, other Engineering degree with experience in factory planning, material flow, 2D/3D layout development
- Motivation: An insatiable desire to optimize, optimize, optimize.
- Preferred Experience with any of the following:
- Manufacturing equipment installation and execution
- Macro-level layout/factory planning, with consideration for material/people flow
- Factory/facility construction
- Industry-specific experience preferred:
- High-volume manufacturing with emphasis on product cleanliness/quality – semiconductor, solar cell, battery/cell manufacturing experience preferred
- Material flow strategy and layout planning for high-consumption parts, hazmat/chemicals, waste materials, PIT equipment
- Egress planning, operations planning
- Factory throughput
- Software/job function experience preferred:
- Material flow simulation – Flexsim or excel-based
- 2D layout planning – Autocad, Revit, etc.
- 3D layout planning or modeling a HUGE plus – Revit, Navisworks, Solidworks
- Crossfunctionality: Our team is big, and everyone has a role to play. Interface with product design, manufacturing engineering, quality, construction, production/sustaining, supply chain, controls, external vendors, etc. Come together to resolve differences in opinion, reconcile different ideas, compromise and convince others to make progress towards our goals.
- Attention to Detail: Dive into the equipment and building information, know your process, equipment, and layout like the back of your hand. Be able to explain “why” we want to make our factory this way.
- Execution: Drive actions through closure. Overdeliver by communicating outcomes, lessons learned to the cross functional team, and plan for future success by improving our processes to prevent mistakes down the line.
- Seek Solutions to Big Problems: The path to our goal is full of unknowns and uncertainties, and the questions we need to ask (and answer!) seem daunting. Be fearless in asking questions from the cross functional team, open all the cans of worms, be relentless in asking “why?”
- Understand Manufacturing Environments and Processes: Prove your ability to scale process/equipment from lab to high volume – and understand the challenges that occur at a factory-level.
- Be Organized: Not gonna lie, we have a lot of numbers to keep track of, and we must be able to communicate them accurately and quickly to our cross functional stakeholders. Be proficient in all the standard office software, be able to communicate your ideas concisely. Develop new tools for communication as needs arise, and make our existing tools better.
- Thrive Under Pressure: We have a lot of work to do, and our mission doesn’t leave much time for procrastination or hesitation. Be comfortable multi-tasking and managing multiple priorities. Be able to focus and deliver on tight deadlines. Push yourself when it’s important, and don’t forget to celebrate with the team when we achieve our goals!
- Ability to travel both domestically and internationally as required
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.