Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
At Rivian, Mechatronics Engineers are the domain owners from requirements through production for functional components. This means, you will be the domain/product owner within the functional group with a “cradle to grave” approach to design & development, testing & launch, along with supporting the commercial & timing activities.
- Lead collaborative development of body components and systems including interface with engineering, manufacturing, studio design, quality, and customer experience teams.
- Responsible for EE system level definition, functional requirements, also support EE architecture design and integration at both component and system level. Integral liaison between hardware, applications team and core EE.
- Design new sensor applications, system architecture and validate. Lead prototype, build and test of mechatronic systems through system “V” development for concept validation. Lead design reviews and responsible for sign-offs.
- Working knowledge of controls, and expertise in development, testing and validation methods of mechatronics systems at component and system level DV. Ability to develop new test procedures to simulate vehicle performance.
- Develop component, system EOL specifications, detailed test methods and system level DV for complex mechatronic systems.
- Analytical development using model-based design, simulation toolsets and use extensive problem-solving methods for debugging, issue resolution
- Support component release for closure's components and systems throughout program lifecycle, including concept design, supplier engagement, BOM management, simulation analysis, prototyping builds, validation testing, and production support.
- Developing and managing your system, subsystem, and component part information through the Enovia PLM to Catia V6 environment
- Develop and maintain Best Practices: Design Standards, Test Procedures, Technical Specifications, etc.
- Develop and maintain standard Quality Documents: DFMEA, PFMEA, Control Plan, etc.
- Be a champion of 1st principles design methodology in the body closures systems and across the entire vehicle.
- Engage in debate and represent the closures department as a stakeholder during all body design reviews.
- Coordinate supplier meetings, track, investigate and resolve issues related to design.
- Master of Science in Electrical or Mechatronics Engineering (PhD preferred) with 3+ years’ experience in automotive closures development or equivalent industry experience.
- Strong background in systems engineering, controls, functional safety, and ISO 26262 with experience in developing complex mechatronics systems (both sensing and actuating)
- A strong understanding of the 1st principle physics of a closures system – the loads, forces, and overall function of the system, and the tradeoffs among design, package, function, and customer experience involved with these systems.
- Ability to self-direct, self-managing issues to closure involving all necessary teams, and adapt quickly to program changes.
- Knowledge of an automotive design and development process, system requirements, and general engineering best practices
- Good interpersonal and communication skills with a high level of integrity
- Ability to deliver under pressure and manage component design & development within cost, weight, and timing constraints.
- Willingness to travel to suppliers, manufacturing, and testing facilities as required throughout product development.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.