Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
This is what you’ll do:
- Develop the next generation of battery cells for Rivian!
- Assist in managing a battery lab facility responsible for cell prototyping, cell testing, and material characterization
- Own processes and equipment for cell and material characterization
- Support a dynamic team working to scale cell manufacturing
- Work collaboratively across product teams to define methods, measurements, documentation, and appropriate data analysis
- Train, organize, and supervise laboratory technicians to ensure high quality, repeatable data generation
- Consult with manufacturing engineers on D/PFMEA
- Define, design, commission, calibrate and maintain material characterization equipment to meet unique R&D specifications
- Optimize experimental methods and equipment scheduling to maximize data generation
- Develop training and methods to ensure user safety
- Contribute intellectually to near-term and long-term R&D projects
This is what you’ll need:
- Masters/PhD degree in Mechanical, Chemical, Electrochemical Engineering or Materials Science, or similar technical field
- 7+ years of combined academic and industry experience in laboratory-based battery R&D
- 2+ years of experience supervising technicians
- Passionate about enabling scientists and engineers to answer the most relevant R&D questions by measuring key properties in the most accurate and reproducible way
- Knowledgeable in all major methods of characterizing battery materials (e.g. SEM-EDS, XRD, XPS, FTIR, Raman, TGA, DSC, PSA, DMA, profilometry, viscometry, GC/GC-MS, ICP) as well as emerging methods
- Knowledgeable in all major methods of battery cell characterization (i.e. electrochemical, electrical, thermal, mechanical)
- Knowledge of cell manufacturing methods like mixing, coating, calendaring, stacking, winding, welding, filling, sealing, formation, etc. is desirable
- Knowledge of cutting-edge materials and design trends including solid state cell architectures is desirable
- Passionate about supporting others with compassion and humility
- Critical problem-solving skills: ability to ask the right people, the right questions at the right time in the right way
- Detail oriented: ability to become a subject matter expert to make informed decisions
- Curiosity: demonstrate level of interest that enables inventiveness
- Execution: demonstrate that follow through is given as much attention as problem solving
- Structured: able to organize chaos thru methodical framework and documentation to achieve goals harmoniously
- Capable of working as a member of a team across several cross functional disciplines, including product design, quality, construction, production, supply chain, controls, external vendors etc.
This is where you’ll work:
Department: Cell Engineering
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.