Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
This Is What You’ll Do
- Lead, supervise and conduct the structuring of commercial and technology transactions and the preparation and review of a variety of complex commercial, technology development, and strategic agreements, all in support of Rivian’s internal business operations, our vehicles, charging and energy product portfolio, and our web-based customer applications.
- Lead, grow, and train a team of attorneys and other practice professionals to further develop the commercial and technology transactions practice area within Rivian’s legal team.
- Draft, review, and negotiate a variety of complex agreements, with an emphasis on technology transactions, including contracts for cloud services, SaaS, software / technology licensing, connectivity, and technology development.
- Provide accurate, timely, and practical advice on matters pertaining to product and software development, connectivity, over the air updates, and use of open-source software.
- Collaborate closely with other groups within Rivian’s legal team (including brand and technology, regulatory and litigation) and cross-functional teams and subject matter experts with respect to procurement and commercial negotiation, intellectual property, privacy, cybersecurity, data use, global connected services, import/export regulations and related compliance matters.
- Support continuous improvement of Rivian’s legal team by identifying and implementing new processes, document templates, playbooks, and training materials, and collaborating with internal business clients to develop and implement a variety of company-wide policies, processes, and guidelines.
- Stay current on emerging legal and regulatory trends in software and connectivity in all global markets where Rivian operates.
- Work together with senior members of Rivian’s legal team on project-based legal assignments and initiatives, including product development and strategic partner relationships.
- Develop and implement process improvement initiatives to improve efficiency of legal and business activities.
This Is What You'll Need
- J.D. degree from an ABA-approved law school, and an active member in good standing of the California Bar (or eligible to practice as a California registered in-house counsel).
- At least ten (10) years practicing as an attorney, with at least five (5) years of significant technology or data licensing transactions experience, with working knowledge of applicable compliance/regulatory matters, intellectual property, cybersecurity, and privacy issues.
- 4+ years of People Management experience, including managing and developing attorneys and other professionals, and team leadership experience.
- Familiarity with automotive technology, cloud services, connectivity or telecommunications, SAAS / software licensing, mobility platforms, fleet operations, electric and / or autonomous vehicles.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, and communication skills to express complex legal matters in clear, concise, business-friendly language with a strong record of effective cross-group collaboration, as well as the ability to manage multiple large-scale projects simultaneously.
- Ability to recognize and weigh business and legal risks, think strategically and advance creative, legally sound practical solutions in the context of business goals.
- Excellent drafting and negotiation skills, with attention to detail.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, innovative global business environment.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.