Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
In this role, the electrical engineering lead will own electrical system design, bring-up and validation for current and next generation of Rivian electric vehicles.
This would be a highly visible role working cross-functionally to influence design, contribute to solve HW/SW system integration challenges and experience complete prototyping to manufacturing product development cycle.
This is what you’ll do:
- Define and develop the core brains of our vehicles to enable the latest and next generation vehicle platforms.
- Lead/manage a small team of hardware design engineers involved with design, development, test, and product integration
- Own the hardware design and lead development of the vehicle electrical system by creating complete electronic modules from the ground up to Rivian Standards.
- Collaborate across the organization (architecture, software, integration, test, safety) to refine and balance requirements and drive hardware development workflows to develop a complete hardware product.
- Simplify complex functions and features to their core components using first principles approach to drive simple and structured requirements and production friendly solution working with broader team
- Participate in safety and reliability reviews and contribute to resolving reliability issues for components, subsystems, and assemblies. Collaborate with reliability engineers to support DFMEA to drive reliable design choices and improve validation test planning
- Think holistically. Understand impact of your plan or decision to program and customers. Deep dive into technical issues to drive data driven decisions.
- Work with senior leadership to develop Hardware team's long term product strategy and performance standards
- Develop the performance and deliverables of your direct reports and inspire engineers to perform at their peak.
- Maintain communication at all levels of the organization.
- Develop and ensure resource and staffing plans and budgets are met
his is what you’ll need:
- BS + 6 years or MS + 4 years or PhD +3 years or equivalent experience in electrical engineering or related field.
- Minimum 2 years managing a high-performance team of engineers in multiple disciplines
- Hardware design experience in analog, digital and mixed signal and interfaces
- Deep first principles understanding of technology and its implementation
- Experience with schematic design tools, PCB layout, FPGA development systems and tools, simulation tools (Spice, Matlabs, etc)
- Familiarity with C programming and microcontroller peripherals such as SPI, I2C, and other various protocols. Experience working with FW teams to drive and test and hardware requirements
- Understanding of high-speed signal integrity, EMI/EMC, thermal performance and other typical regulatory requirements for low voltage electronics to facilitate cohesive development with broader engineering team
- Proficiency on necessary test and measurement tools (Oscilloscope, Logic Analyzer, spectrum analyzer)
- Demonstrated strong creative thinking and problem-solving toolbox
- Understanding of automotive requirements
- Safety and Reliability design experience
- Familiarity with the software development process
- Have a fine eye for detail, yet the ability to ‘zoom out’ and see the big picture
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.