Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian’s Demand Planning team creates models and simulations to make operational and commercial decisions. We are building out a simulation platform to enable us to take a data-driven approach to solving complex problems at scale. The areas we currently focus on are Demand Execution, Forecasting, Decision Support and Optimization.
We are seeking a Senior Staff Data Scientist to join this team. You will spend most of your time designing the Demand Planning model and associated simulation framework, and working with software developers in our team to implement your design. We are early in the Demand Planning journey, so you will drive the team’s technical direction. This is a high-impact role that means your output will directly affect business, commercial and strategic decisions at Rivian.
This is what you’ll do:
- Lead the design of the Demand Planning modeling and simulation framework, defining architecture, technology selection and model and algorithm choice
- Work closely with our product managers to understand business priorities
- Work closely with the team’s software engineers to build out the Demand Planning model to your vision, ensuring that it scales efficiently as the company’s operations grow and become more complex. This will be using Python and AWS
- Communicate and explain insights from the model, including to senior leadership
- Represent the team, sharing Data Science, Simulation and Machine Learning best-practices across Rivian
- If needed, spend time learning and using Alteryx Designer to support existing modeling efforts
This is what you’ll need:
- 8+ years of relevant industry experience, with 5+ years of building models and simulations in an enterprise setting
- Experience building models in Python (numpy, pandas, sklearn, pymc3, simpy etc.) and Matlab
- Experience with optimization tools (e.g. CPLEX, Gurobi)
- Experience with AWS (SageMaker, S3 in particular)
- Experience with simulation-based optimization
- Comfortable navigating trade-offs to bring the right technology, model and algorithm to each problem
- Dedicated to building models with the care they deserve, with a structured approach that includes automated testing
- Ability to work in a fast-paced development environment rolling out new features on a regular basis
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Mathematics or a related field, PhD a plus
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.