Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We are seeking a Lead Data Scientist who will help design and build industry leading predictive and behavioral insurance models based on large vehicle datasets that include radar, ultrasonic sensors, cameras and additional consumer data. This person will be hands-on in designing, developing, maintaining and supporting our data-driven strategy using various data tools. This position offers a unique opportunity to significantly impact the entire organization in developing the foundation for insurance data science to accurately predict risk.
This is what you’ll do:
- Lead insurance data research and model development
- Mine and analyze data from the enterprise data lake to discover driving trends
- Uncover innovative ways to extract risk information from connected vehicle data
- Design, implement and analyze experiments to improve the performance of risk models
- Partner with actuaries and product teams to develop highly predictive telematics pricing and underwriting algorithms
- Develop strategies to identify vehicle movement patterns using mobile device data when rich CASE vehicle data is not available
This is what you’ll need:
- 5+ years of experience as a Data Scientist including real-world experience of maturing models and running them on production environments
- Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science or another quantitative field
- Extensive experience developing software with R, Python, SQL and Spark and leveraging numerical and machine learning libraries (NumPy, Pandas, scikit-learn, Tensorflow, etc.)
- Experience partnering with ML engineers and DevOps in all stages of the model lifecycle including MLOps (experience with Amazon SageMaker, MLOps, DataBricks MLflow or Kubeflow is a huge plus)
- Strong experience with the open source and AWS Cloud ecosystem (experience with EMR, EKS, Redshift, S3, SageMaker Presto, Spark, Tableau, Quicksight and/or Containers is highly desired)
- Knowledge and experience in machine learning techniques: GLM/Regression, Random Forest, Boosting, Trees, Bayesian Optimization, etc.
- Experience building high volume data simulators, emulators and data generation tools is an added advantage
- Experience writing and speaking about complex technical concepts in a simplified format
- Comfortable giving presentations to senior leadership in engineering and business teams
- Ability to function in a fast-paced multi-tasking environment both independently and in the collaborative team
- Ability to identify and recommend further opportunities based on data patterns and effectively present those ideas to executives across the company to gain support
- Experience with auto insurance, telematics and/or automotive industry is a huge plus
- Ability to work in a startup environment with the initiative to identify opportunities beyond those directly assigned and the project management skills to execute those opportunities from concept to deployment
- Ability to identify and lead project work in situations with a lot of ambiguity
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.