Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
As the Lead Support Engineer (OTA)- Fleet Operations, you will be responsible for supporting a 24/7 operations team function that will maintain multi-cellular and multi-access connectivity to Rivian vehicles, thereby allowing robust connectivity for not only today’s adventures but tomorrow’s as well. Specifically, this role will proactively monitor, triage, and fleet management software spanning telematics, vehicle health, service, purchasing, connectivity and OTA (Over-the-Air) on Rivian vehicles and chargers issues across Rivian’s global fleet, escalate issues/outages to the appropriate internal/external team and/or carrier, and assist in the validation of new features/integrations that enable Rivian to execute on our core fleet services. This role is situated meaningfully with cross-functional visibility and is a ground floor opportunity to revolutionize the connected car segment with an always connected vehicle that uploads thousands of signals every minute.
THIS IS WHAT YOU"LL DO:
- Ensure robust connectivity and OTA health for all consumer/commercial vehicles and charger deployments by proactively monitoring connectivity, telematics, vehicle health and anomalies across Rivian’s global fleet. Remotely resolve issues and serve as a subject matter expert for the Fleet Operations Team.
- Provide technical guidance and mentorship on OTA to the 24/7 team of Tier-3 Fleet Support Engineers which ensures Connectivity and OTA for all consumer/commercial vehicles and charger deployments.
- Serve as a subject matter expert in regard to Connectivity/OTA on Rivian vehicles and chargers and provide education to internal Rivian teams on Tier 1 and Tier 2 support and diagnostics.
- Operate a 24/7 Tier 3 support desk that can receive OTA escalations from multiple teams such as service centers, engineering, and customer experience centers.
- Serve as the technical pillar team lead for OTA support process, campaign management and escalation support.
- Lead support engineers on the team in different global locations, timezones to support OTA activities for consumer and commercial deployments.
- Manage, monitor and track the progress of OTA campaigns across Rivian’s global fleet and promptly triage/resolve failed software updates. Anticipate issues and implement action plans and standard operating procedures before business units are impacted.
- Drive optimization and efficiency through data, and process refinement with a focus on lean principles to surface bottlenecks and inefficiency, seeking a resolution at a root cause.
- Promptly triage, resolve, or escalate connectivity and OTA issues to engineering, vehicle service, internal support teams and/or the third party service providers. Track the progress of escalated issues to ensure SLA’s are met and that Rivian is providing the best possible experience to the vehicle owner.
- Responsible for testing and validating connectivity and OTA solutions end to end in partnership with Rivian engineering, vendors, and network operators.
THIS IS WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- 10+ years working as technical support engineer/escalation lead or network operations within the IoT, wireless/networking, or connected car industries.
- Self-motivated with the ability to dive right in, develop effective processes, and work to ensure our vehicles remain connected.
- Available to meet the requirements of 24x7 support operations including readiness for shift work during weekend, post business hours and holidays as scheduled
- Flexibility to meet the requirements of 24x7 support shift operations especially to manage OTA activities.
- Experience with various cellular & Wi-Fi technology components such as 4G/5G, Wi-Fi connectivity management, and Wi-Fi hotspot.
- Experience with IoT solutions that involve complex OTA campaigns, lifecycle management, API/network integrations with various cell carriers/connectivity management platforms, and eSIM
- Strong cross-functional experience with engineering, customer support, finance, product management, and
- Confidence and ability to lead troubleshooting and escalation efforts with service providers/Carriers.
- Strong business and technical acumen with the ability to translate between the two.
- B.S. in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or Software Engineering, or a related field
This is where you’ll work:
Department: Fleet Product Management
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.