Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
This is what you’ll do:
- Work collaboratively with the IP and engineering teams on projects and harvesting sessions to proactively grow our patent portfolio across various businesses, including battery and software development.
- Conduct prior art searches, patent landscape analysis, and mapping IP portfolio to products using docket management and patent search software
- Assist in preparing patent applications aligned with Rivian products/processes/designs for inventions by inventors
- Prosecute office action responses and provide detailed guidance to our U.S. and Foreign outside counsel for the preparation of responses to office actions
- Perform on a wide range of projects/issues including portfolio management, freedom-to-operate, competitor analysis, due diligence, licensing, and opinion work
- Conduct inventor interviews and intellectual property training with focus on patent and trade secret protection
This is what you’ll need:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Material Science, Software or related field preferred.
- Registered to practice before the USPTO
- 5 to 8 years of patent agent experience
- Experience with Anaqua IP management software including HyperView reporting and searching
- Curious, fast learner, organized, strong oral and written communicator, and ability to work efficiently with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated experience handling complex technical, patent, trade secret and copyright related issues
- High level of interpersonal skills including the ability to work in a team
- Knowledge and understanding of battery chemistry, electric vehicle or charging industries and business needs is desired
- Understanding of the chemistry of state-of-the-art and emerging materials for battery technologies is a plus
- Exposure to drafting and negotiating IP related agreements is also preferred
This is where you’ll work:
Department: Intellectual Property
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.