Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
You are passionate about data and using it to help Rivian on our mission to change mobility. You will take responsibility for populating Rivian’s growing BMS cloud with extremely valuable data we are collecting from our vehicles and other test assets. You will be a primary interface for “Extract-Transform-Load” activities for Rivian’s BMS, which is a vital activity in transitioning raw data to usable data in our cloud.
Also, you will be developing an understanding of the functionality of the BMS and how a high voltage battery functions. You will get to work closely with experts in algorithms and be able to build your domain knowledge in electric powertrains. You must have an acute understand of textual programming languages, python/ R, data visualization and data manipulation tools. You must be creative, clever, proactive, driven by detail, and an individual who can work independently, or with other embedded programmers, software architects, and application engineers.
- Create fleet-level monitoring -
- Implement ETL for BMS – Develop data storage approaches for ETL that blend search response time criteria with fidelity requirements of the search. The balance of speed vs time will depend heavily on the needs of the analysis, response time, as well as the physics of the data
- Deploy ETL Tasks – Collaborate with stakeholders to deploy critical jobs, including those that will be safety-related. Ensure that capabilities or jobs are vetted and tested before deploying
- Support Critical Issue Resolution for High-Profile Assets
- Root Cause Analysis – Support BMS team in root cause analysis by providing data support to help identify potential similar issues or causes for issues in data.
- Fleet Analysis – Work with multiple stakeholders, as needed, to pull vehicle data from multiple vehicles for fleet-level analysis. Goal is to either learn about, or protect, Rivian’s prototype vehicles by standing up new capabilities for ETL based on data, in many cases on new signals recently added by BMS.
- Create streaming jobs for real-time, BMS related fleet metrics
- Develop Metrics – Collaborate with vehicle-facing stakeholders to develop metrics for real- time vehicle monitoring. Balance data processing time/resources, fidelity, and other criteria to optimize
- Implement and Deploy – Implement real-time streaming jobs based on stakeholder needs. Test and verify capability are ready, including reporting or display method. Deploy to vehicle in collaboration with stakeholders.
- 3+ years’ work experience in data science performing ETL and data analysis on large datasets (terabyte to petabyte scale)
- Strong Python coding skills, with experience with quantitative libraries (specifically including Pandas, PySpark) required
- Experience with databases such as SQL and NoSQL
- Strong cloud experience, preferably AWS
- Experience with analyzing CAN and Ethernet data is a huge plus
- Strong quantitative skills
- REST API experience preferred
- Experience with Kubernetes, EMR, or cluster computing/management is preferred
- Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Chemistry, or Chemical Engineering preferred
Department: Battery Management Systems
Location: Irvine CA
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidate Data Privacy
Rivian may collect, use and disclose your personal information or personal data (within the meaning of the applicable data protection laws) when you apply for employment and/or participate in our recruitment processes (“Candidate Personal Data”). This data includes contact, demographic, communications, educational, professional, employment, social media/website, network/device, recruiting system usage/interaction, security and preference information. Rivian may use your Candidate Personal Data for the purposes of (i) tracking interactions with our recruiting system; (ii) carrying out, analyzing and improving our application and recruitment process, including assessing you and your application and conducting employment, background and reference checks; (iii) establishing an employment relationship or entering into an employment contract with you; (iv) complying with our legal, regulatory and corporate governance obligations; (v) recordkeeping; (vi) ensuring network and information security and preventing fraud; and (vii) as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law.
Rivian may share your Candidate Personal Data with (i) internal personnel who have a need to know such information in order to perform their duties, including individuals on our People Team, Finance, Legal, and the team(s) with the position(s) for which you are applying; (ii) Rivian affiliates; and (iii) Rivian’s service providers, including providers of background checks, staffing services, and cloud services.
Rivian may transfer or store internationally your Candidate Personal Data, including to or in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the European Union and in the cloud, and this data may be subject to the laws and accessible to the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities of such jurisdictions.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.