Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
- Join a comprehensive cell engineering team working on the design and manufacture of the next generation of battery cells for Rivian
- Ideate & develop innovative lithium-ion cell assembly techniques to unlock scalability never before seen in the industry
- Research automation methods across industries to bring learnings into cell assembly steps such as stacking, welding & dispensing
- Ground up development of new automation equipment. Architecture definition to proof of concept trials to giga watt scale mass production.
- Develop equipment specifications, assess vendor capabilities, and drive key strategic sourcing decisions
- Work closely with cell design & process teams to drive DFM and product modifications that allow for faster processing speeds
- Deep dive into every step of the cell assembly process and break up steps into what happens in each millisecond to consider ways of speeding up through faster actuators or clever sequencing of tasks & placement of module
- Work with external and/or internal equipment suppliers to design and deliver ultra high speed assembly equipment.
- Lead equipment design review, performance validation, installation, commissioning, acceptance test, as well as handover to production
- Drive a multi-functional team including process, control, MES (Manufacturing Execution System), factory, and safety engineers to solve technically complex problems using first principle and data driven methodologies
- Manage equipment related documents, including project schedule, equipment specifications, design iterations, operation manual, BOM (Bill of Materials), training documents
- MSc./PhD in mechanical engineering with more than 7 years experience working on automation technology development with a proven track record of innovation
- Experience with roll-to-roll manufacturing equipment in converting industry or multi-film lamination or other stacking processes
- Experience developing continuous motion assembly equipment with high precision requirements
- First principles thinking towards solving complex problems. Ability to break up a problem to its core and come up with innovative ideas drawing from your expertise & experience
- Eagerness to push the boundaries on what is feasible and come up with innovative equipment that provides Rivian with a strong competitive advantage in scaling cell manufacturing
- Ability to think through all the failures modes that effect OEE to come up with robust machine architectures that meet performance goals while maintaining reliability
- Proven ability to prototype lab or pilot equipment to validate concept for high volume production.
- Proven ability to ramp up equipment in high-volume manufacturing environment.
- Expertise in mechanical design (2D/3D CAD, GDT, Stack up tolerances), data collection system (MES), communication protocols & machine safety regulations
- Critical problem-solving skills: ability to ask the right people the right questions at the right time in the right way.
- Execution: demonstrate that follow through is given as much attention as problem solving
- Capable of working as a member of a team across several cross functional disciplines, including product design, quality, construction, production, supply chain, controls, external vendors, etc.
- Able to work under pressure while managing competing demands and tight deadlines of multiple simultaneous projects and challenges.
- Ability to travel both domestically and internationally as required
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
Candidate Data Privacy
Rivian may collect, use and disclose your personal information or personal data (within the meaning of the applicable data protection laws) when you apply for employment and/or participate in our recruitment processes (“Candidate Personal Data”). This data includes contact, demographic, communications, educational, professional, employment, social media/website, network/device, recruiting system usage/interaction, security and preference information. Rivian may use your Candidate Personal Data for the purposes of (i) tracking interactions with our recruiting system; (ii) carrying out, analyzing and improving our application and recruitment process, including assessing you and your application and conducting employment, background and reference checks; (iii) establishing an employment relationship or entering into an employment contract with you; (iv) complying with our legal, regulatory and corporate governance obligations; (v) recordkeeping; (vi) ensuring network and information security and preventing fraud; and (vii) as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law.
Rivian may share your Candidate Personal Data with (i) internal personnel who have a need to know such information in order to perform their duties, including individuals on our People Team, Finance, Legal, and the team(s) with the position(s) for which you are applying; (ii) Rivian affiliates; and (iii) Rivian’s service providers, including providers of background checks, staffing services, and cloud services.
Rivian may transfer or store internationally your Candidate Personal Data, including to or in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the European Union and in the cloud, and this data may be subject to the laws and accessible to the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities of such jurisdictions.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.