Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
At Rivian, the Closures- Mechanical Design Engineer is a critical role as they are the single point of contact for everything related to their components. This means you will be the “CEO” of your area of responsibility with a “cradle to grave” approach to design & development, testing & launch, and commercial & timing activities.
- Lead collaborative development of closure's components and systems including interface with body engineering, manufacturing, studio design, quality, and customer experience teams.
- Responsible for component release for closure's components and systems throughout program lifecycle, including concept design, supplier engagement, BOM management, systems requirements, simulation analysis, prototyping builds, validation testing, and production support.
- Lead system design, analytical development with model based design, simulation tool-sets and use problem solving methods
- Manage cost and weight for closure's components and systems from initial engineering estimates, through supplier quotes. Ensuring accurate forecasting and implementation plans throughout the development.
- Developing and managing your system, subsystem, and component part information through the Enovia PLM to Catia V6 environment.
- Be a champion of 1st principles design methodology in the body closures systems and across the entire vehicle.
- Engage in debate and represent the closures department as a stakeholder during all body design reviews.
- Mentor and help develop other team members with advanced problem solving and simulation tools/methods.
- Coordinate supplier meetings, track, investigate and resolve issues related to design.
- Understanding of product requirements and closures features to deliver world class customer experience in one or more of the following areas: Handles, Latches, Dampers, Load Reduction Assist Mechanisms, Window Regulators, Power Actuators, Charge Port Door Mechanisms
- Master of Science in an engineering discipline (PhD preferred) with 3+ years’ experience in automotive closures development or equivalent industry experience.
- A strong understanding of the 1st principle physics of a closures system – the loads, forces, and overall function of the system, and the tradeoffs among design, package, function, and customer experience involved with these systems.
- Ability to self-direct, self-managing issues to closure involving all necessary teams, and adapt quickly to program changes.
- CAD design experience for closures systems mechanisms or related vehicle components. Catia V6 experience preferred but not required.
- Experience on leverage and usage of CAE results, Altair HypeWorks, Kinematic experience is a plus.
- Knowledge of an automotive design and development process, system requirements, and general engineering best practices
- Good interpersonal and communication skills with a high level of integrity
- Ability to deliver under pressure and manage component design & development within cost, weight, and timing constraints.
- Willingness to travel to suppliers, manufacturing, and testing facilities as required throughout product development.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.