Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
- Leverage first principles thinking to distill operations to foundational elements and develop solutions from these foundational truths
- Use your mechanical design prowess to develop the next generation of scalable Battery Cell equipment
- Provide technology leadership that fosters positive & productive communication
- Design tools, jigs, fixtures and automation equipment for both R&D and production environments
- Support multiple cutting-edge technologies across battery manufacturing
- Team up with Engineering visionaries to solve problems no one ever dared to challenge
- Closely collaborate with internal & external equipment and automation resources
- Partner with external equipment integrators on custom automation equipment design
- Collaborate and provide input to machine development from conceptualization through detailed design
- Balance a variety of technical needs and priorities according to project & timeline demands
- Command ownership of scope and design duties from concept to production
- Design, procure, and launch Cell Assembly equipment for pilot engineering builds, manufacturing proof-of-concept and process development activities
- Team up with materials, process, manufacturing, and production experts to share in solution ideation
- Own design, analysis, proof of concept, and delivery of equipment from concept to production
- Manage requirements & develop equipment specifications
- Manage and conduct design reviews, author documentation and design requirements
- Draft, enforce and maintain equipment design standards and processes to ensure consistent tool quality
- Deliver high quality CAD models, drawings & tolerance analysis
- Participate in hands on troubleshooting
- Coordinate as well as directly support specific equipment commissioning and validation activities
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar
- 3+ years of mechanical design experience within a manufacturing environment
- Experience in mechanical design and component selection including but not limited to:
- Servo selection/sizing
- Material selection and definition including coatings and surface treatment
- Conveyance systems
- Robot integration, tool sizing and EOAT design
- Integration of safety into mechanical, electrical and pneumatic systems
- Weldment design
- Sheet metal design
- Machined part design
- Spring assemblies
- Electro-mechanical jigs
- Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Design for manufacturing and assembly
- Proficient with CAD systems, emphasis on SolidWorks and CATIA
- Experience with FEA suites such as ANSYS
- Proficient and safe use of Excellent communication skills allowing crisp distribution of information and ideas between members of a project team
- A collaborative attitude that inspires the best from others thereby supporting a positive environment
- Understanding of the equipment design cycle
- A sense of ownership and developed self-discipline
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidate Data Privacy
Rivian may collect, use and disclose your personal information or personal data (within the meaning of the applicable data protection laws) when you apply for employment and/or participate in our recruitment processes (“Candidate Personal Data”). This data includes contact, demographic, communications, educational, professional, employment, social media/website, network/device, recruiting system usage/interaction, security and preference information. Rivian may use your Candidate Personal Data for the purposes of (i) tracking interactions with our recruiting system; (ii) carrying out, analyzing and improving our application and recruitment process, including assessing you and your application and conducting employment, background and reference checks; (iii) establishing an employment relationship or entering into an employment contract with you; (iv) complying with our legal, regulatory and corporate governance obligations; (v) recordkeeping; (vi) ensuring network and information security and preventing fraud; and (vii) as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law.
Rivian may share your Candidate Personal Data with (i) internal personnel who have a need to know such information in order to perform their duties, including individuals on our People Team, Finance, Legal, and the team(s) with the position(s) for which you are applying; (ii) Rivian affiliates; and (iii) Rivian’s service providers, including providers of background checks, staffing services, and cloud services.
Rivian may transfer or store internationally your Candidate Personal Data, including to or in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the European Union and in the cloud, and this data may be subject to the laws and accessible to the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities of such jurisdictions.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.