Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
This is WHO you are:
You are an experienced privacy leader and highly skilled lawyer with superior interpersonal skills who thrives in challenging and fast-paced environments.
This is what you’ll do:
The role will lead Rivian’s legal privacy efforts and further its legal objectives while working collaboratively with the larger cross-departmental privacy team. The role will report to Rivian’s Senior Director of Ethics and Compliance.
- Help lead and develop Rivian’s global privacy program in collaboration with other key stakeholders, including the business and IT privacy subject matter experts.
- Serve as a company-wide data privacy subject matter expert and a trusted resource for internal business clients across Rivian, which includes building strong working relationships with company executives, advising on strategy and considering business objectives in addition to legal compliance.
- Draft employee, customer, and third-party privacy policies, disclosures, notices, and other external-facing materials.
- Partner with product teams to provide highly responsive global data privacy counsel based upon privacy by design principles and other best practices.
- Lead and provide global legal support to business units for key privacy operational tasks, including data governance activities, Privacy Impact Assessments/Data Protection Impact Assessments, and consumer data requests/data subject access requests.
- Assist with developing and presenting data privacy training and other communications aimed at ensuring awareness, understanding and compliance with Rivian’s data privacy obligations.
- Lead transactional efforts for agreements involving data sharing or other data privacy legal impacts.
- Lead legal response on applicable worldwide data breach notification laws and response activities.
- Monitor new and emerging legal and regulatory developments, including identifying potential impacts on current and future Rivian products and services.
- Work collaboratively with the Rivian privacy team and other key stakeholders to further Rivian’s data privacy goals and objectives.
- Increase employee awareness and actively promote the importance of data privacy throughout the entire organization.
This is what you’ll need:
- 10-15+ years of legal experience focused on data privacy matters.
- J.D. degree from an ABA-approved law school or equivalent and an active member in good standing of the California Bar or eligible to practice as a California registered in-house counsel.
- Leadership experience advising multinational, complex fast-growing global organizations, preferably involving technology and advanced mobility on core data privacy principles and laws.
- Experience drafting data privacy policies, notices, disclosures, and other external facing materials.
- Experience leading the drafting, negotiating, and advising on technology transactions with an emphasis on data.
- Expert knowledge of evolving data privacy regulatory environment with experience spotting emerging trends and new and evolving issues.
- Strong leadership, relationship, problem-solving, and collaboration skills.
- Experience with connected vehicles and other advanced mobility solutions a plus.
- CIPP Certification a plus.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, high stress, team environment.
- Ability to travel, as required.
- A commitment to teamwork, collaboration, and professionalism.
This is where you’ll work:
Location:Palo Alto, CA, Plymouth, MI, Normal, IL, Washington, DC, Irvine, CA
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.