Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
This is what you’ll do:
- Reliability is at the core of Electric Adventure Vehicles. This position is in the beating heart of where Rivian vehicles are made – the main production facility in Normal, IL. As a Failure Analysis & Materials Engineering (FAME) Technician in the Normal FAME lab, you will play a key role in generating insight through conducting failure analysis investigations for all Rivian products from the vehicle to component level.
- The FAME Technician will assist the FAME lab engineers and scientists in their investigations by operating laboratory equipment, generating, and collating data.
- Assist FAME engineers in both failure analysis investigations and materials characterization projects.
- Operation of a variety of laboratory equipment including, but not limited to (prior hands-on experience highly desired, but training will be provided as needed):
- Metallurgical sample x-sectioning equipment (section, grind, polish, and etch);
- Basic machine shop tools such as band saw, drill press, lathe, milling machine, etc.
- Macro photography;
- Optical microscopy;
- Scanning electron microscopy and energy dispersive spectroscopy (SEM/EDS);
- Hardness tester – macro and micro;
- 2D X-ray and 3D CT scanning;
- Alloy identification using XRF
- Nondestructive flaw evaluation using dye penetrant or magnetic particle inspection;
- Physical materials testing - tensile and compression using a universal tensile tester.
- Nondestructive evaluation using dye penetrant and magnetic particle inspection;
- Basic electrical measurement tools such as oscilloscopes, signal generators, impedance testers, etc.;
- Thermal and environmental exposure testing chambers.
- Preventative maintenance of laboratory equipment on a scheduled basis to ensure maximum uptime and operability of the equipment.
- Assist in day to day organization of the lab, including ordering consumables, maintenance of chemical inventory, sample organization and tracking, etc.
- Produce clear and concise reports to summarize data collected and be able to clearly present this to the FAME lab engineers and scientists.
This is what you’ll need:
- A BS in Materials Science/Engineering, Chemistry, or Chemical Engineering, OR 2+ years hands-on experience in materials testing.
- Experience working in a fast-paced manufacturing environment, and able to safely work in a production line setting.
- Experience working in a laboratory environment and in the safe use of hazardous chemicals.
- Experience working in a forensic environment, and acute attention to detail in the preservation of evidence, sample record keeping, and safe handling of evidence.
- Work effectively both independently and in a collaborative environment
- Highly organized and detail oriented in documentation and reporting, as well as cross functional data management.
- Strong familiarity with the MS Office suite, and in the reporting of data using spreadsheets in Excel and construction of presentations in PowerPoint.
- Exceptional communication skills.
- Experience in the automotive industry, and familiarity with vehicle systems and materials and corrosion challenges in the automotive industry is a plus.
- A desire to create a respectful, fun, inclusive and inspiring team and company culture is a must!
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.