Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
- Assist in the development and influence design of Rivian’s next-generation battery packs for use in vehicles such as the R1, RPV, and next-generation platforms.
- Lead the development and guide the technical content of test plans to validate electrical and mechanical functions of EV battery packs and the subsystems for Rivan’s vehicle platforms.
- Serve as a technical lead in the development of methods to diagnose and characterize electrical & mechanical behaviors of future battery pack designs.
- Support direct reports in root cause failure analysis activities during development, throughout production life, and after-market.
- Guide and review analysis from data collected during testing.
- Advise on priority and risk associated with various test efforts.
- Provide feedback related to battery failure modes discovered in testing to Development/Validation and Design Engineers.
- Specify and/or develop equipment, instruments, and fixtures for various durability tests.
- Collaborate with design engineers to create a detailed design validation plan that characterizes system performance and assess performance degradation throughout life.
- Collaborate and advise on appropriate data acquisition, instrumentation and sensors required to successfully ensure test meets the objective.
- Develop, maintain, and enhance technical memory documents, templates, and tracking of BoD, BoM, CTS, CTR, DFMEA, DVP, ADV Toolbox, Drawing Templates, and Lessons Learned.
- Support design reviews for Product Development & Change Management, Key Stakeholder Reviews, Component Technical Reviews, and Supplier Technical Reviews
- Speak up for safety issues and follow up with actions and closures.
- Provide direction to lab personnel (both in-house and outside) in setting up and executing tests.
- Work with cross functional test teams to align test conditions and test methods for software evaluation, etc where applicable.
- Support hardware integration related to interfacing hardware and connection issues.
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical or mechanical engineering, or related relevant field.
- Experience with a multitude lithium-ion chemistries preferred.
- Experience working with high voltage systems.
- Minimum 6 years test or validation experience in automotive or related relevant field
- Experience working with and developing test plans for battery pack durability testing, thermal performance, electrical performance and abuse, mechanical abuse and durability including shock and vibration, lifecycle, and homologation.
- Strong understanding of failure damage modes and accelerated life testing.
- Knowledge of common battery key performance / health metrics and indicators .
- Experience performing statistical reliability calculations.
- Knowledge of BMS algorithms, controls, and diagnostics including but not limited SoP, SoC, SoH, SoE, contactor control logic, and isolation measurement.
- Experience and proficiency with Python, Matlab or other data processing tools.
- Strong knowledge and experience working with a wide range of lab equipment including but not limited to:
- Data acquisition systems, power supplies, electronic loads, battery cyclers, oscilloscopes, HIL, DMM
- Demonstrate knowledge of battery pack, module and cell design.
- A wide range of experience with automotive test tools such as LabView, CANalyzer, CANape.
- Familiarity with statistical tools, DOEs, DFSS or DRM tools (such as VOC, FMEA, 5-Why, 8-D) .
- Familiarity in industry battery abuse testing guidelines, UN 38.3, UL, USABC, SAE, OEM, GBT, preferred.
- Understanding of Electric Vehicle safety, including FMVSS.
- High energy and self-motivated.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to work effectively in a team-oriented environment.
- Strong technical communication skills (written and verbal).
- ~20% Domestic and/or International Travel
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.