Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
This is WHO you are:
The Sr. Test Systems Engineer will be the main electrical and electronic engineer for system design, debugging, fixes, upfit, & the technical point of contact for the HIL & other test systems which focus on the EV battery system.
You’ll work closely with the BMS Test Manager & SW Test Lead to design, configure and maintain the test system solutions that ensure software test quality for BMS software throughout the product lifecycle.
This is what you’ll do:
- Architecture: Help to define test system architectures in collaboration with other team members for testing the Battery subsystem
- Understand the battery architecture to effectively design & maintain the test resources
- Keep test resources current with the battery system changes and HW ECUs design changes
- Understand how to derive physical & electrical properties of the battery system to define test strategies on test equipment
- Adhere and maintain all Safety requirements in and around the High Voltage systems to prevent injury to technicians or system users
- Proven experience to develop test systems through analyzing system diagrams, test concept mockups, diagnostics strategies, signal conditioning, and power requirements
- Develop and maintain all documentation and diagrams for test system resources. Comprehensive diagrams and documents are required for building to print, debugging & upgrading
- A thorough knowledge of electronics and electrical systems is a must.
- Procurement & Lab Maintenance: Research and procure components & equipment to design and upfit the lab & test systems with current technology:
- Use purchasing system to procure parts and components.
- Maintain accurate financial records for parts inventory
- Develop and maintain the lab and test equipment to 5S quality standards
- Utilize the technical staff to ensure test resource quality is maintained to the highest standards
- System Configuration & Tools: Develop and configure as needed: system devices, low level drivers, manual GUI panels, HW abstraction layers:
- Experience with scripting languages such as Python, C++, LabVIEW, etc.
- Experience with Mathworks tools such as Simscape, Simulink, Matlab
- Experience with automotive CAN tools
- Experience with integrating plant models into HILs is desired
- Maintain the test equipment in top working order to reduce system downtime.
- Coordinate with project & team leads to ensure timely completion of assigned tasks as dictated by their respective milestones.
- Refactor work effort to reflect project status & projections based on up-to-date information.
- Be able to adapt to development timelines, with accelerated hardware and software production timelines.
- Support debugging efforts on the test systems
- Support and collaborate with design & development engineers for testing as needed:
- Work collaboratively with various Engineering teams to deliver superior test solutions that drives quality through their entire life cycle of our products.
- Transition quickly to become the test system resource specialist for BMS testing for Rivian Automotive.
This is what you’ll need:
- 3+ years work experience in related field
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in related electrical engineering discipline
- Proven experience with test system design
- Excellent problem solving skills; reliant on core engineering principals, experience & common sense
- Previous experience in automotive product environments
- Strong communication, multitasking, & inter-personal skills
- Versed in software development, hardware testing, & production procurement timelines
- Versed with automated requirements management tools (e.g. JAMA, Doors, etc.)
- Experience with issue tracking and work flow tools (e.g. Jira, ClearQuest, Bugzilla, etc.)
This is where you’ll work:
Department: BMS Test Team
Location: Irvine, California
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.