Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
The Facility Related Control Systems team is tasked with building world class control systems for Rivian factories and workplaces. We are looking at utility control and data collection not just from a factory level, but a global level always with the goal of a net zero global footprint. You will champion the use of data, AI and machine learning to be able to drive efficiency at scale. You will seek out new uses for data, and act as a service provider to business units that can utilize system data to accelerate their mission towards carbon free operations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
- Research new and existing platforms, hardware, and strategies used for the control and monitoring of continuous process systems such as HVAC, compressed gasses, chemical systems, and hydronics systems. This includes but is not limited to best in class software strategies, SCADA, communication protocols, etc.
- Determine ways to take full advantage of these new technologies to design world-class automation controls standards that minimize development time, commissioning time, and unplanned downtime.
- Collaborate on specification development for PLC code to control continuous processes systems such as HVAC, compressed gasses, chemical storage and handling, and hydronics systems.
- Architect tools for automation of development and deployment of PLC and SCADA based systems
- Participate on design reviews of greenfield and brownfield factory and other infrastructure projects.
- Provide input into the development of sequence of operations (SOO) documents and functional control specifications.
- Participate in development of scalable network architectures for plant wide high reliability control systems such as PLC Architecture, Server Architecture and User interface user experience (UI/UX)
- Help design the interfaces for interaction between the manufacturing equipment, facility equipment, and supervisory level systems such as the factories Manufacturing Execution System (MES).
- Participate in developing standards for high efficiency alarm rationalization techniques
- Work together with hardware integration development teams to integrate and develop innovate control solutions.
- Develop scopes of work and manage contractors to optimally execute their scopes.
- Participate in continuous improvement activities with key stakeholders and engineering groups.
- Continuously support construction and commissioning teams during execution activities.
- BS/MS in an Engineering field (Majors in: Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Control Systems, Computer Science and Engineering, Mechatronic Engineering, Automation Engineering, etc.).
- 8+ years of experience as a hands-on Controls Engineer programming process control systems, industrial automation systems, and/or large scale DCS and SCADA systems.
- Familiarity programming standards per IEC 61131 series
- One or both of the following
- Advanced proficiency with programming industrial process equipment (Siemens, Allen Bradley, Beckhoff, Wago) using state machines, data acquisition, and PID control.
- Advanced proficiency programming Human Machine Interface using industry best standards and HMI high performance standards (Inductive Automation Ignition, Siemens Comfort Panel, Factory Talk, Iconics).
- Proven ability to design fault-tolerant systems with error handling and recovery.
- Proven proficiency programming and tuning variable frequency drives.
- Proven proficiency in configuration of controls networks including:
- Field bus Networks (ProfiNet, DeviceNet, Ethernet/IP, Safety rated field bus networks)
- Serial communication (RS-232, RS-422, RS-485, ProfiBus, BacNet) between PLCs and instruments and microcontrollers
- Ethernet communications between machine PLCs and database systems
- Advanced proficiency in modern text based programming languages (Python, Java, C, VB) is a plus
- Advanced proficiency in database systems (MSSQL, MySQL, Access) is a plus
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.