Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
The Building Infrastructure Design team plans and oversees the design and construction of the building systems that keep Rivian’s facilities running like a well-oiled machine. We’re a diverse team of MEP, FP, Structural & Civil engineers, Technical Program Managers and Engineering Specialists that come together to build world-class facilities to enable Rivian to scale. We challenge the status quo and deliver innovative solutions to complex problems across Rivian’s portfolio of vehicle production facilities, customer experience centers, charging, corporate office and R&D facilities.
Our Building Infrastructure Design team is responsible for engineering support of all aspects of our building infrastructure. As a staff engineer in our team, you will;
- Provide thought and technical leadership – work across teams within your discipline to provide the thought leadership needed to propel Rivian’s Building Infrastructure solutions to the next level and be the technical on-stop-shop to technically mentor more junior team members.
- Drive Innovation – to meet Rivian’s sustainability goals, carbon commitments and world-first production goals we need forward thinking solutions that introduce a step change in how we think about buildings. In your role you will need to bring innovation to everything you do. You will be able to zoom out to plan strategies at the portfolio level, and dive into the details at the project or solution level. You will bring innovation to everything you do and hold sustainability as a core design principle.
- Lead System Design - Plan and scope the design of the mechanical systems within our facilities at both the project and portfolio level. Select the right external partners to execute the design and collaborate with them and with internal teams to see projects through to execution. This will include working in a team that oversees a wide portfolio of diverse projects, from new factories to high-end retail locations to company offices. Oversee and manage consultant relationships to drive innovation and quality at the portfolio level.
- Solve Technical Problems - Solve technically complex problems using fundamental, data driven methodologies. Investigate new system architectures, new equipment, and new construction techniques. Review designs and challenge assumptions.
- Establish Standards and Processes – Develop our internal design standards, specifications, and analysis tools to improve the design and delivery of all our facilities. Work in digital environments to ensure proper design and coordination. Engage and champion Rivian’s goals of sustainability and decarbonization through system designs and project decisions – Forever Starts Now.
- Provide Dynamic Collaboration - Engage as a technical expert with a diverse set of teams within Rivian, from real estate to manufacturing to construction to operations to executive level stakeholders. Close and active collaboration and a nimble and agile approach will be key to success. Contribute to a high-performance environment which is in line with our workplace culture.
- Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering (or related discipline) with 10+ years of experience (hiring level commensurate with experience)
- Demonstrated ability to solve complex technical problems and deliver technical projects.
- Demonstrated knowledge of thermodynamic principles, equipment sizing, and/or equipment curves.
- Demonstrated ability to expand concepts beyond the project level and drive impact across a portfolio.
- Experience working with cross-functional disciplines, including external stakeholders and clients.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Experience working in BIM and other CAD environments.
- Desire to work in a technically complex and fast-moving environment.
- Masters degree in a field of study relating to the built environment.
- Experience with applying sustainability principles to your work.
- Licensed Professional Engineer (or similarly recognized professional certification).
- Experience leading the design for major commercial and/or industrial facilities.
- Experience working in building load modeling software or thermal modeling software.
- Experience with automating workflows and analyses through programming and scripts.
THIS IS WHERE YOU’LL WORK
- Department: Building Infrastructure Design.
- Locations: Palo Alto, CA; Irvine, CA; Normal, IL; Plymouth, MI.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.