Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
- Join a team to develop battery cells for Rivian!
- Own one or multiple pieces of electrode manufacturing equipment within the cell engineering team
- Work with external and/or internal equipment suppliers to design and deliver manufacturing equipment
- Develop equipment specifications, assess vendor capabilities, and make sourcing decisions based on data
- Lead equipment design review, performance validation, landing, acceptance test, as well as handover to production
- Drive a multi-functional team including process, control, MES (Manufacturing Execution System), factory, and safety engineers to ensure equipment meets production requirements
- Manage equipment related documents, including project schedule, equipment specifications, design iterations, operation manual, BOM (Bill of Materials), training documents
- Lead new equipment development from proof-of-concept to mass production scale
- Be a key stakeholder in decision making for fast equipment iterations and mass production scale-up
- Drive a multi-functional team to solve technically complex problems using first principle and data driven methodologies
- Bachelor/Masters/PhD degree in Mechanical Engineering, or similar technical field
- Bachelor with 8+ years and Master/PhD with 6+ years of experience in roll-to-roll equipment in pilot or mass production environments
- Experiences with roll-to-roll battery manufacturing equipment including mechanical slitter, calender, coater, winder, annealing, and laser notching equipment are highly desirable.
- Proven ability to scale up lab or pilot equipment to high volume production
- Experience in high-throughput equipment design and validation
- Proven ability to ramp up equipment in high-volume manufacturing environment
- Familiar with mechanical design (2D/3D CAD), data collection system (MES), and commercial PLC platforms
- Has knowledge of manufacturing process modeling us FEA software (e.g. ABAQUS, ANSYS)
- Excel in statistical analysis software (e.g. JMP) and approaches to provide data-driven decisions
- Familiar with statistical-based Design of Experiments (DOE)
- Critical problem-solving skills: ability to ask the right people the right questions at the right time in the right way
- Detail oriented: ability to become a subject matter expert to make informed decisions
- Curiosity: demonstrate level of interest that enables inventiveness
- Execution: demonstrate that follow through is given as much attention as problem solving
- Capable of working as a member of a team across several cross functional disciplines, including product design, quality, construction, production, supply chain, controls, external vendors, etc
- Able to work under pressure while managing competing demands and tight deadlines of multiple simultaneous projects and challenges
- Strong problem-solving skills and aptitude for learning quickly
- Ability to travel both domestically and internationally as required
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.