Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
- Develop mathematical models (Physics based/ semi empirical/data driven) to be used for estimating battery degradation in terms of capacity loss, resistance rise, pressure change etc. over battery age for various vehicle usage conditions.
- Use statistical tools which can be used to connect cell level models to pack level incorporating cell-to-cell variations and other pack level effects.
- Support team with development of battery performance models such as equivalent circuit models, porous electrode models, reduced order models etc.
- Use simulation results to define and optimize operating boundary conditions/control limits for pack/vehicle to meet the battery life targets.
- Use simulation results to guide warranty strategy and cell development.
- Guide experiments to develop optimal test procedures for cycle/calendar life experiments to improve model calibration process, the model accuracy and to minimize the resource utilization.
- Work with cross functional team to determine the important degradation mechanisms such as electrode dry out, lithium plating, particle pulverization etc.
- Drive the decision for cell’s selection (chemistry and design) and system design based on the modeling and test results.
- Define pathways to improve cell/pack design with enhanced performance and lifetime; develop intellectual property for Rivian’s battery cell technology.
- Review academic literature of lithium-ion cells and beyond in order to advance Rivian’ battery cell technology.
- Must have:
- PhD with a focus on battery modeling.
- Understanding of the generally accepted degradation mechanisms for lithium-ion batteries and a clear understanding of stress. factors affecting battery degradation.
- Awareness about Statistical Methods to account for factors such as cell-to-cell variation etc.
- Familiarity with important considerations while connecting cell models to pack models.
- Strong optimization skills and numerical skills.
- Familiarity with porous electrode modeling/ reduced order modeling/ equivalent circuit modeling.
- Experience in MATLAB/Simulink/COMSOL.
- Passionate about research/work.
- Excellent communication skill.
- Industrial experience on battery degradation modeling is a plus.
- Experience with data driven models/ machine learning skills is a plus.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.