Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
- Develop the next generation of battery cells for Rivian!
- Join a comprehensive team working on the design and manufacture of solid state batterie
- Generate and validate multiphysics models to predict mechanical, thermal, and electrochemical phenomena
- Predict cell operating limits to guide cell and component design
- Optimize computational models to include increasing levels of complexity and multivariate interaction
- Apply finite element analysis for model simplification
- Guide and conduct experiments to validate and improve model calibration
- Connect material level models to the cell, module, and pack level while accounting for manufacturing tolerance
- Masters/PhD degree in Mechanical, Chemical, or Electrochemical Engineering or Materials Science, or similar technical field
- 4+ years of academic and industrial experience in physics-based modeling of battery cell and pa
- Experience with a variety of methods for developing multiphysics models of electrochemical or general transport-reaction processes at different length scale
- Comprehensive understanding of the mechanical, thermal and electrochemical phenomena occurring in a lithium-ion or solid state cell
- Deep understanding of cell component interactions, operating parameters, and common cell failure mode
- Knowledge of the challenges unique to solid state batteries
- Proven competency in mathematical modeling and numerical solutions of PDEs and ODE
- Experience with MATLAB/Simulink, Python, COMSOL and other simulation tool
- Experience in electrochemical analysis / failure analysis and materials characterization
- Critical problem-solving skills: ability to ask the right people, the right questions at the right time in the right way
- Detail oriented: ability to become a subject matter expert to make informed decisions
- Curiosity: demonstrate level of interest that enables inventiveness
- Execution: demonstrate that follow through is given as much attention as problem solving
- Structured: able to organize chaos thru methodical framework and documentation to achieve goals harmoniously
- Capable of working as a member of a team across several cross functional disciplines, including product design, quality, construction, production, supply chain, controls, external vendors etc.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidate Data Privacy
Rivian may collect, use and disclose your personal information or personal data (within the meaning of the applicable data protection laws) when you apply for employment and/or participate in our recruitment processes (“Candidate Personal Data”). This data includes contact, demographic, communications, educational, professional, employment, social media/website, network/device, recruiting system usage/interaction, security and preference information. Rivian may use your Candidate Personal Data for the purposes of (i) tracking interactions with our recruiting system; (ii) carrying out, analyzing and improving our application and recruitment process, including assessing you and your application and conducting employment, background and reference checks; (iii) establishing an employment relationship or entering into an employment contract with you; (iv) complying with our legal, regulatory and corporate governance obligations; (v) recordkeeping; (vi) ensuring network and information security and preventing fraud; and (vii) as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law.
Rivian may share your Candidate Personal Data with (i) internal personnel who have a need to know such information in order to perform their duties, including individuals on our People Team, Finance, Legal, and the team(s) with the position(s) for which you are applying; (ii) Rivian affiliates; and (iii) Rivian’s service providers, including providers of background checks, staffing services, and cloud services.
Rivian may transfer or store internationally your Candidate Personal Data, including to or in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the European Union and in the cloud, and this data may be subject to the laws and accessible to the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities of such jurisdictions.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.