Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
- Develop the next generation of battery cells for Rivian!
- Join a comprehensive team working on the design and manufacture of solid state batteries
- Lead functional teams in a focus area of cathode, anode, or solid state electrolyte
- Work with internal and external partners to define and develop solid state cell materials and achieve milestones to get to scale
- De-risk a multitude of material technologies (including structures and processes) concurrently to assess both cell performance and mass production viability
- Generate experimental data that drive decisions on material selection
- Work with material suppliers to establish appropriate supply chains
- Bachelors/Masters/PhD degree in Mechanical, Chemical, Electrochemical Engineering or Materials Science, or similar technical field
- 7+ years of academic and industrial experience in battery materials R&D and manufacturing, >4 years of non-academic experience required
- Solid state cathode, anode, or electrolyte material development experience required
- Experience in electrochemical analysis, cell failure analysis and key materials characterization techniques
- Deep expertise in cell R&D with emphasis on tailoring material properties to optimize cell performance
- Knowledge of design criteria and processes for high volume cell manufacturing and potential impacts on material viability
- Critical problem-solving skills: ability to ask the right people, the right questions at the right time in the right way
- Detail oriented: ability to become a subject matter expert to make informed decisions
- Curiosity: demonstrate level of interest that enables inventiveness
- Execution: demonstrate that follow through is given as much attention as problem solving
- Structured: able to organize chaos thru methodical framework and documentation to achieve goals harmoniously
- Capable of working as a member of a team across several cross functional disciplines, including product design, quality, construction, production, supply chain, controls, external vendors etc.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.