Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
- The Field Performance Engineer will join our Safety team in Irvine, CA. This role will require closely collaborating with Rivian the Engineering, Attributes, Legal and Customer Support teams.
- This position requires attaining and maintaining a high level of technical knowledge about Rivian vehicles and design for safety. Knowledge of US & EU regulations, IIHS, USNCAP, EuNCAP ratings.
- Monitoring multiple data sources to understand and identify any potential issues: including field accident reports, relevant legal cases, plant build quality reports, safety compliance and consumer metric testing data, vehicle owner questionnaire surveys, independent initial quality survey data and vehicle service warranty data.
- Work with reliability and IT teams on customer reported issues. Conduct field inspections of vehicles or in-service vehicles as required.
- Conduct thorough, timely, data-driven root cause analysis including associated severity identifying vehicles population affected and what, if any, potential impact to customers. The finding to be clearly communicated to management per issue, identified root cause, safety risks and recommended corrective actions.
- When appropriate, conduct field inspections of post-crash vehicles or in-service vehicles either at dealerships or in the possession of customers.
- Compile and analyze assembled data/information to resolve field performance observations that may lead to emerging issues.
- Make formal presentations to the Safety, Legal, Homologation & senior management teams. Facilitate meetings to produce concise issue decisions and resolutions.
- All corrective actions to be tracked and/or managed cross-functionally with appropriate Rivian teams until such actions are satisfactorily completed and continue to track the health related to these field actions.
- Working upfront with engineering teams to apply lessons learnt to detect and avoid issues in future product by applying appropriate mitigating enablers.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in engineering science, Master’s degree in engineering a plus
- Understanding or experience of global safety requirements and standards, complying to Information Lifecycle Management (or ILM) policies, litigation holds, attorney-client privilege / work product practices.
- Minimum 10+ years of experience in automotive vehicle safety, design, testing, equipment failure mode investigations, analyzing statistical data.
- Manufacturing plant experience
- 2+ years of supervisory experience a plus.
- Proactive, results-driven with excellent project and program management skills working collaboratively with peers/experts and leadership within the design/manufacturing/safety/homologation & legal organizations.
- An understanding of US automotive federal compliance standards.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.