Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
- Lead cell safety and diagnosis team. Define roadmap for the team, work with cross functional team to use cell safety and diagnosis data to refine cell/pack design and operating conditions for Rivian vehicle.
- Lead the team to characterize cell degradation and failure modes through electrochemical and physical characterization techniques (non-destructive and destructive test methods).
- Lead the team to Identify root causes. Work with cross functional team to propose solutions to mitigate the risk and maximum cell performance and lifetime from both design and usage.
- Lead the team to develop new test techniques to develop understanding of cell degradation and failure modes.
- Lead the team to extract kinetic, thermal dynamics and cell design parameters for modeling work.
- Lead the team to perform cell safety. Work with cross functional team to propose solutions to improve safety of the cell and pack. Continuous development and refinement Rivian’s own safety standard.
- Lead the team to design new cell format/configuration to characterize cell/electrode/material such as 3-electrode cells
- Develop new methods/tools to identify degradation mechanisms and lifetime prediction for lithium-ion batteries.
- Prepare concise report and effectively present to internal and external teams.
- Must have:
- MS degree in chemistry/chemical engineering/materials science with 5+ years of experience with hands-on testing of lithium-ion batteries. (PhD preferred)
- 3+ years’ experience in management. Strong record of leadership.
- Strong understanding about lithium-ion batteries, their degradation and failure modes.
- Demonstrated experience on cell characterization and post metem analysis.
- Strong understanding about the principle of dQ dV and dV dQ and their application in degradation and failure mode identification.
- Strong understanding about cell components and their interactions inside the cell.
- Problem solving skills.
- Passionate about research/work in lithium-ion batteries, especially in EV.
- Excellent communication and time management skills.
- Nice to have:
- Hands on experience in electrochemical techniques such as EIS, GITT, CV, PITT…
- Hands on experience in material characterization: XRD, SEM, TEM, FTIR, GCMS…
- Experience in data analysis tool such as Python is a plus.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.