Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
- Lead cell NPI (new product introduction) team to define technical roadmap, timing, and clear deliverables.
- Work with cross functional teams to decompose requirements from vehicle to cell requirements/specifications for different Rivian’s products.
- Lead the team to work with cell suppliers to evaluate cell technology that meets Rivian’s requirement for different applications/products.
- Lead the team to design and refine test methods to evaluate various lithium-ion battery cell chemistries at cell, module and pack and vehicle level. Coordinate resources for internal and external testing.
- Drive the decision for cell selection based on the test results for different applications. Drive development of new Rivian products based on cell technology.
- Work with pack design engineers to define pathways to improve cell/pack design with enhanced performance and lifetime; develop intellectual property for Rivian’s battery cell technology.
- Work with cross functional team to identify cell degradation mechanisms and failure modes of the cells in the lab and in the field. Propose solutions to mitigate the risk while maximize cell capability.
- Use cell testing data to define boundary conditions for battery/vehicle operation and support control/estimation algorithms used in battery management system.
- Work with internal teams and external institute to advance Rivian’ battery cell technology.
- Prepare concise reports and effectively present to internal and external teams.
- Must have:
- MS degree in chemistry/chemical engineering/materials science with 5+ years of experience with hands-on testing of lithium-ion batteries. (PhD preferred)
- 3+ years’ experience in management. Strong record of leadership. Launch at least one product.
- Demonstrated experience in characterizing lithium-ion cell.
- Strong understanding about electrochemistry properties of lithium-ion batteries.
- Strong understanding about cell components and their interactions inside the cell.
- Strong understanding of electrochemical processes in various lithium-ion chemistries.
- Excellent knowledge of development trends of lithium-ion battery.
- Problem solving skills.
- Passionate about research/work in lithium-ion batteries, especially in EV.
- Excellent communication.
- Nice to have:
- Having hands on experience/knowledge in electrochemical techniques such as EIS, GITT, CV, PITT…
- Familiar with dQdV, dVdQ.
- Good knowledge about fast charge development.
- Experience in estimate lifetime of lithium-ion battery.
- Experience in data analysis tool such as Python is a plus.
- Understanding of how battery cells are integrated into automotive (HEVs/PHEVs/EVs), or consumer electronics applications.
- Working knowledge of SAE, FMVSS, ECE, GBT/QCT standards and regulations relating to automotive traction batteries.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.