Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
THIS IS WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Own thermal and structural simulation of next gen cell design concepts that enable faster iterations and informed decision making
- Build high fidelity multiphysics models that take into account all the minutia in cell design and manufacturing variability
- Define & execute tests to improve correlation. Own setup of testing capabilities both in-house and at component vendors
- Guide material selection and geometry optimization through structural analysis to meet cell reliability requirements
- Safety/Abuse testing simulation to identify design issues and recommend mitigation options
- Cell process simulations to optimize design for scalability and to define process windows
- Develop electrochemical heat generation models based on defined load profiles & DCFC algos
- Drive failure analysis and experiments to propose design revisions and solutions
- Collaborate with cell materials scientists to co-develop and execute cell concepts to optimize performance such as energy density, power density, DCR, heat generation, and cycle life
- Manage and conduct component design reviews & author documentation and design requirements to communicate with internal and external stakeholders
THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED:
- PhD in mechanical engineering, materials science or similar technical field with more than 7 years working on lithium-ion batteries
- Direct experience in lithium-ion cell design for EV applications is a plus
- Background in electro thermal analysis of cells across the full spectrum of cell life and usage conditions
- Understanding of the various heat generation mechanisms within a cell including electrochemical heat from electrodes & heat dissipation from current collectors
- Experience with MATLAB/Simulink, Python, COMSOL and other simulation tools
- Strong mechanical engineering fundamentals with good understanding of material selection methodology
- Experience in defining & setting up tests to validate designs
- Familiarity in modeling of cell venting and gas evolution mechanism is a plus
- Failure analysis know-how on prototype and production cell design and ability to identify root cause(s) and corrective action(s) to address identified issues
- Desire to work in a fast-paced environment with focus on innovation & first principles thinking.
- Strong oral and written communication for supplier engagement, program timing, and project management.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.