Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
- Develop models to predict lifetime of lithium ion cells using semi-empirical for cycling and calendar life.
- Predict lifetime of lithium ion cells and packs under different usage and operating conditions.
- Model thermal behavior of the cell and pack and their effect to battery cell lifetime.
- Design of experiment to validate/calibrate models at cell/pack levels.
- Develop specifications for cell that meets lifetime target for Rivian’ vehicle.
- Drive the decision for cell’s selection (chemistry and design) and system design based on the modeling and test results.
- Mentor cell modelers and cell engineers.
- Define pathways to improve cell/pack design with enhanced performance and lifetime; develop intellectual property for Rivian’s battery cell technology.
- Review academic literature of lithium ion cells and beyond in order to advance Rivian’ battery cell technology.
- Must have:
- At least 8 years of industrial experience in modeling the cell’s lifetime.
- PhD in chemistry/chemical engineering or materials science.
- Strong understanding about electrochemistry and thermal of lithium ion cells.
- Deep knowledge of using DQdV. dVdQ to identify degradation/failure mode of lithium ion cell.
- Strong understanding about degradation mechanism of lithium ion cells.
- Strong understanding about cell’s components and their interactions inside the cell.
- Strong understanding about the relationship between pack design and its’ performance and lifetime.
- Familiar with potentiostat, cyclers and electrochemical characterization.
- Experience in Python, MATLAB/Simulink.
- Problem solving skills, think outside of the box.
- Desire to work in fast-paced environment.
- Passionate about research/work; make extra effort to get the job done; Work well both in individual and in a team.
- Excellent communication skill.
- Experience with COMSOL is a plus.
- Experience in module/pack modeling is a plus.
- Experience in SOC, SOH, SOP prediction is a plus.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.