Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
- Redefine and innovate automation and robotic solutions in the manufacturing industries
- Automate the process of designing, developing, and deploying new production lines
- Drive for maintainable automation wherever possible and push the boundaries of our automation capabilities
- Lead a team of software and robotics engineers setting high-standards for fault-tolerant automation and robotics applications
- Partner with cross functional leadership across the enterprise to solve automation challenges
- Ensure that we deploy new safe automation solutions with best practices and security
- Architect and implement company-wide software and robotics solutions aimed at high-performance and extensibility
- Build a team of highly skilled software engineers who will create state of the art manufacturing systems
- Guide and mentor team members to innovate and take on ambitious automation and robotic challenges
- Make pragmatic data-driven decisions, clearly articulate logical reasoning
- Dissect and reimplement manufacturing device communication protocols to achieve new integrations
- Ingest and rapidly become an expert in new technologies, standards, and protocols.
- Demonstrate front-line leadership with an emphasis on excellence and quality in everything performed
- Establish standards and best practices for software engineering and CI/CD deployments
- Exhibit a strong desire to continuously improve
- Make and commit to critical deliverable
- Masters degree in Computer Science, Mechatronics, or Robotics, or related engineering field
- 7+ years professional experience as a software engineer
- 5+ years of experience designing, implementing, and evolving high-performance high-performance robotics and automation solutions
- 3+ years of experience directly managing a team
- Professional experience with UNIX, Go, C/C++, Python
- Professional experience with Web communications standards; HTTP, WebSockets, GRPC, TLS
- Professional experience with Containers, Kubernetes, Edge Computing, and cloud platforms
- PhD degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or related engineering field
- Strong system design and architecture skills, good understanding of the Actor Model, scalable-concurrent design
- Expert with one or more of the following: Path planning/path following, Mobile robot localization, Simultaneous localization and mapping (SLAM), Mobile robot kinematics/dynamics, 2D and 3D sensors, Object detection and tracking, Knowledge of Kalman/particle filters; estimation techniques; sensor fusion methods
- Expert understanding of distributed data systems and trade-offs; SQL, NoSQL, Messaging Queues, and Event Sourcing
- Expert understanding of CI/CD pipeline, Git, and development workflow
- Experience using Robot Operating System (ROS, ROS 2)
- Experience building end-to-end cloud native distributed applications across web/app, databases, backends, embedded devices, and all sorts of environments
- Experience working in a fast-paced, rapid-prototyping, and agile work environments
- Experience developing software used in production and industrial environments.
- Experience developing industrial robotics, AGVs/AMRs, perception, computer vision, OpenCV,
- Knowledge of Kalman/particle filters; estimation techniques; motion control, hardware-in-the-loop testing
- Demonstrated ability to innovate and think creatively
- Strategic mindset – able to think far enough into the future while ensuring near-term execution and providing glide path into the future vision
- Familiarity with Atlassian tools (Confluence, JIRA, Bitbucket)
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.