Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian’s Cloud team is at the center of Rivian’s ‘data universe’, as well as at the center of all customer-facing business processes. Rivian’s Cloud model is the most progressive in the industry, collecting and processing petabytes of data from our customer fleet.
This is what you’ll do:
You will work on Rivian’s Data Platform team as a Software Engineer and be involved in building frameworks and systems that will be used to ingest high speed data, perform stream processing and streaming analytics, store for online and batch queries to derive insights from our connected vehicle fleets.
- Build the core frameworks for messaging, stream processing, OLAP storage, visualization and data catalog
- Define and build tenancy for segmentation
- Build and manage operators on Kubernetes
- Implement self-service monitoring for users
- Implement the necessary controls for data security
- Build the necessary automation for the control and data plane
- Work with engineering teams to identify scope, constraints and dependencies
- Identify risks and opportunities across the solution space
- Collaborate with TPMs, other engineering teams, senior engineers, and leadership as required
This is what you’ll need:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Engineering; Masters or Phd in the related field is a plus
- Five plus years programming in Python, Java or Scala
- Intermediate understanding of algorithms and data structures
- Experience using and contributing to Apache Flink, Apache Beam or similar stream processing engines
- Experience using and contributing to Apache Druid, Pinot, ClickHouse or similar OLAP systems
- Understanding and experience on storage formats such as Parquet, Avro and/or Delta
- Knowledge of common pitfalls in a streaming system
- Understanding of REST APIs and microservices
- Experience building platform products
- Experience with AWS’s big data products (e.g. Lake Formation, Athena, Glu, Kinesis, S3) is a plus
- Sound knowledge of designing and building highly scalable distributed and multitenant systems
- Agile software development experience and understanding of DevOps principles
- Working knowledge of Kubernetes, EKS, ECS is a plus
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.