Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
- Establish Pack Requirements
- Determine Pack Envelope – Work with ESS Systems and Vehicle Body teams to establish allowable pack envelope, incorporating vehicle requirements, ESS safety requirements for creepage/clearance/keepout, and other design princples
- Cost/Weight – Ensure that pack design meets cost/weight targets. Manage any deviations to cost/weight via Risk/Opportunity tracking at program level.
- Lead Design of Pack
- Pack Design – Lead overall design of pack layout, in collaboration with a widely cross-functional team of stakeholders from vehicle, service, manufacturing, systems, cell, and other teams. Design pack to meet requirements for strength, integrity, cost, weight, and to meet performance attributes
- Module Design – Design module (or module-less design) to maximize energy density and packing efficiency while performing all necessary module functions for protections, low/high voltage data/electrical connections, and other functions
- Electrical, Cooling, and Communications – Design electrical, cooling, and communications infrastructure in collaboration with powertrain/thermal, systems, technology, and other teams. Ensure that the current-carrying capability and cooling needs of the pack are properly determined.
- Release Pack Design
- Release – Ensure all data, including CAD, specs, process assembly drawings (PADs), and other design data is properly released into manufacturing on time at various program milestones
- Data – Collaborate with program and design teams to ensure data integrity is maintained at all times, ensuring cost/weight/timing data is accurate and up to date
- Integration and Problem Solving
- Integration – Lead integration of pack into vehicle. Collaborate with adjacent and connected systems including ESS Systems, Body, Powertrain, Thermal, and Electric power conversion teams to ensure that pack is properly integrated into vehicle
- Problem Solving – Lead problem solving efforts and guide team in redesign activities where necessary
- 10+ years of work experience (15+ preferred)
- Experience in automotive industry preferred.
- Experience in electrification programs (EV, PHEV, HEV) preferred
- 8+ years leadership experience in a product development environment
- Track record launching technology-focused products
- MS (or international equivalent) or greater in an engineering discipline, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering preferred
- Strong quantitative skills
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.