Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
Rivian is seeking a localization engineer to fill this role within the Perception Team. This candidate will develop algorithms and implement code for absolute and relative vehicle localization to deploy to the full range of Rivian vehicles.
The localization engineering candidate should have strong first-principles knowledge in vehicle dynamics, inertial navigation, dead-reckoning, and stochastic estimation theory. The ideal candidate would also have end-to-end experience in taking code to production. Experience with functional safety, sensor fusion (GNSS/IMU/odometry), and diagnostics implementation is preferred.
- Responsible for developing Proof-of-Concepts, then supporting deployment of those algorithms to and validating on real-time embedded platforms in Rivian vehicles.
- Excellent communication and cross-collaboration efforts with systems, controls, embedded SW, test and validation, and hardware teams.
- Interaction with external suppliers is required.
- Developing and testing in vehicle.
- Occasional travel may be required.
- MS. or Ph.D. in Mechanical, Aerospace, or Electrical Engineering, Robotics, Computer Science, or related field
- 1-3 years of experience (Engineer II)
- 3-5 years of experience (Senior Engineer)
- C/C++ programming experience
- Experience with IMUs and wheel odometry
- Expert in sensor fusion and stochastic estimation
- Ability to work in a fast-paced development environment
- Good team player with excellent communication skills
- Passionately motivated to take ideas from research to production
- 1-2 years of experience in industry developing navigation systems
- Experience with high-precision GNSS (RTK, PPP, OSR, SSR, RTCM)
- Experience developing loosely/tightly coupled GNSS/IMU systems
- Experience prototyping real-time applications
- Experience in embedded software development and maturing code for production
- Software development for safety critical systems (ISO 26262 training a plus)
- Vehicle integration experience
- Automotive experience
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.