Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
The Building Infrastructure Design team plans and oversees the design and construction of the building systems that keep Rivian’s facilities running like a well-oiled machine. We’re a diverse team of MEP, FP, Structural & Civil engineers, Technical Program Managers and Engineering Specialists that come together to build world-class facilities to enable Rivian to scale. We challenge the status quo and deliver innovative solutions to complex problems across Rivian’s portfolio of vehicle production facilities, customer experience centers, charging, corporate office and R&D facilities.
Our Building Infrastructure Design team is responsible for engineering support of all aspects of our building infrastructure. As a staff commissioning engineer on our team, you will;
- Provide thought and technical leadership – work across MEP teams to provide the thought leadership needed to propel Rivian’s Building Infrastructure solutions to the next level, and be the technical on-stop-shop to technically mentor more junior team members.
- Drive Innovation – to meet Rivian’s sustainability goals, carbon commitments and world-first production goals we need forward thinking solutions that introduce a step change in how we think about buildings. In your role you will need to bring innovation to everything you do. You will work with our controls team to develop system architectures which will enable us to employ predictive maintenance and effectively reduce energy consumption.
- Lead System Commissioning – Work with the internal building infrastructure team and our external partners to ensure that the systems on site operate in line with our preferences and specifications. Create reporting documentation to capture as built status and ensure that findings are looped back into process documentation. Scale these processes portfolio-wide.
- Support Operations – Perform periodic inspections and checks on our operational facilities. Provide constructive feedback to the operations team on how our equipment is being used and maintained. Aid in the development of maintenance schedules and documentation to enable the operations team to meet their responsibilities more effectively.
- Establish Standards and Processes – Develop our internal design standards, specifications, and analysis tools to improve the design and delivery of all our facilities. Work in digital environments to ensure proper design and coordination. Engage and champion Rivian’s goals of sustainability and decarbonization through system designs and project decisions – Forever Starts Now.
- Provide Dynamic Collaboration - Engage as a technical expert with a diverse set of teams within Rivian, from real estate to manufacturing to construction to operations to executive level stakeholders. Close and active collaboration and a nimble and agile approach will be key to success. Contribute to a high-performance environment which is in line with our workplace culture.
- Bachelor of Science or Engineering in a related discipline, with 10+ years of experience (hiring level commensurate with experience)
- Demonstrated experience in the development and execution of commissioning plans for complex MEP systems
- Demonstrated knowledge of automated controls and diagnostic analysis
- Experience working with cross-functional disciplines, including external stakeholders and clients
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Desire to work in a technically complex and fast-moving environment
- Masters degree in a field of study relating to the built environment
- Experience with applying sustainability principles to your work
- Licensed Professional Engineer (or similarly recognized professional certification)
- Experience working with a range of BMS systems and GUIs
- Experience at working across multiple building typologies within a portfolio
THIS IS WHERE YOU’LL WORK
- Department: Building Infrastructure Design
- Locations: Palo Alto, CA; Irvine, CA; Normal, IL; Plymouth, MI
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.