Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
- Develop battery models deployable to Battery Management System software.
- Develop high fidelity cell models using first-principles physics-based and/or data-driven empirical methodologies.
- Develop reduced-order models for battery pack thermal, electrical and life simulations and for the use in advanced close-loop state estimation algorithms.
- Work with Cell Engineers to develop electrochemical characterization and cell test plans for model parametrization and validation.
- Work with BMS Algorithms Engineers on test data processing, model parameters identification and optimization, and model validation.
- Work with Rivian’s Cloud Team and Data Scientists for continuous model optimization and validation using fleet data.
- Implement developed models in Matlab/Simulink as plant models for BMS algorithms MIL/SIL/HIL validations.
- Support the development of aging adaptive battery algorithms by investigating how model parameters evolve as batteries age and developing models to correlate battery SOH metrics and model parameters using both lab cell and pack test data as well as cloud fleet data.
- BS, MS or PHD in Engineering
- Four years or more experience in physics-based modeling of electrochemical, thermal, fluid or chemical transport systems.
- Strong fundamental knowledge on lithium-ion battery chemistry, electrochemical and thermal processes, and aging mechanisms.
- Strong mathematic skills in numerical methods of solving PDEs and ODEs, numerical optimization, and control theories.
- Strong working knowledge of Matlab/Simulink
- Experience of embedded control algorithms and software development for automotive battery systems preferred.
- Experience of model-based design (MBD) development and V&V using Simulink tools preferred.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.